Looking for a Mp3/Flac player with text editor but not a phone!
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rixsta

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all
Just hoping someone here has an idea
I know the Cowon players some of them have Text file reader like the M2 but does it allow you to edit text ?

Im basicly looking for a playet that lets me edit and add text and perhaps has voice recorder/media playback.

I don't want a phone!

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 11
iPod touch

Get the Vox player app for it and you'll be able to load it up with flacs. Or if you want to use iTunes, transcode your flac files to alac - there will be no quality loss doing so.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #4 of 11
Yeah, hate iTunes. Too much bloat. You would still need to load it up to add files directly to the app. But that's it.

Still a good platform and very good quality even without external DAC/amp.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 11
Yeah, Im going traveling with it computerless so may want to get tracks from friends I meet along the way, asking them to install itunes would be annoying. however Ive found for anyone wanting to know the Cowon M2
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/COWONM2/product_page_1.php

That player has 80 hours battery life and can read and write/edit text so thats pretty cool! I wonder if there are any other makes and models that can do this. I know the Cowon may not have the best sound quality though.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 11
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a whole genre of "digital field recorders" that let you do stuff like this, and can handle digital audio both from their built-in (or externally connected) microphones as well as via memory cards and other connectivity (some of them get pretty advanced in terms of what all they can do, and the prices tend to follow). Manufacturers include Zoom, TASCAM, Sony, etc.

In an mp3 player, I vaguely remember my Olympus M:Robe (what a bizarre product name (actually, the entire product concept was just..odd)) could do some text editing, and it was dead simple plug-and-play (I actually didn't even know it included its own (very full featured) player software for about a year after buying it - had just been plugging it into whatever computer and dropping files on it like external storage, and sorting it all out on the device)). I have no idea if they still make those though.

Weird as it may be, a PDA might also do what you want, while not being a phone. I don't know that I've ever seen PDAs mentioned on Head-Fi for portable setups, but I know you can find them (including some of the insanely fancy ones) for peanuts these days, because most people seem to want smartphones instead.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 11
I guess I should have asked by editing text, exactly what do you mean? If you are looking to edit the header files of waveforms then a portable digital recorder could work as obobskivich recommended.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but there's a whole genre of "digital field recorders" that let you do stuff like this, and can handle digital audio both from their built-in (or externally connected) microphones as well as via memory cards and other connectivity (some of them get pretty advanced in terms of what all they can do, and the prices tend to follow). Manufacturers include Zoom, TASCAM, Sony, etc.

In an mp3 player, I vaguely remember my Olympus M:Robe (what a bizarre product name (actually, the entire product concept was just..odd)) could do some text editing, and it was dead simple plug-and-play (I actually didn't even know it included its own (very full featured) player software for about a year after buying it - had just been plugging it into whatever computer and dropping files on it like external storage, and sorting it all out on the device)). I have no idea if they still make those though.

Weird as it may be, a PDA might also do what you want, while not being a phone. I don't know that I've ever seen PDAs mentioned on Head-Fi for portable setups, but I know you can find them (including some of the insanely fancy ones) for peanuts these days, because most people seem to want smartphones instead.

Thanks, yeah PDA looks like the thing, I guess android is the most sensible way to go! that would save me a lot of trouble lol the Olympus M:Robe quite old but very interesting, the Cowon M2 a bit never and can do text editing also.

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 11
I guess I should have asked by editing text, exactly what do you mean? If you are looking to edit the header files of waveforms then a portable digital recorder could work as obobskivich recommended.
Im looking to have a device I can play back music on but that I can also write a shopping list or some song lyrics or a poem on in a text editor. but also am interested in recording too as Im a musician!

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 11
Im looking to have a device I can play back music on but that I can also write a shopping list or some song lyrics or a poem on in a text editor. but also am interested in recording too as Im a musician!

Hmm, well I still think an iPod is going to be a lot easier to write a shopping list or lyrics into than a pro audio recorder. Also, as far as collecting music from your friends, yes that would be a downside. For music production and recording, you can get some accessories that along with some apps can make a decent solution, but really a hardware portable recorder may be a better solution.

Listened to some of your music, very good, honest, and quite accomplished! Well recorded, sounded fine on my LCD2s too.

Here's a thought, all solutions have compromises. Given your talents, I might recommend looking into a pro digital recorder with mics, or using even better external mics. Given your music style, investing in a quality portable mic to run to your DAP. Get a separate MP3 player that you can read memory cards from. Use a note pad or your phone for your shopping lists. I know, not an all-in-one, but perhaps still very portable. You'll have more battery life overall too.

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey, Thanks for that. Ive been recording music for a long time but for fun really. I plan on doing something more serious next ... well still fun but id like to get into a proper recording studio as all those songs were done here at home. Yes an Ipod makes sence pro audio recorders normaly just record :)
I own a Zoom H4N which is a great machine with multitracking and inbuilt microphones

Thanks a lot for the help and yes there is no all in one solution :) we are going traveling around europe so ill be carying an android music player on which I can take notes, use guitar tuner etc and most likely the Boss Micro BR80 recorder which is an 8 track recorder, not pro stuff but it will do. Plan to do some gigs and busking :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back