Looking for a more full-bodied headphone....
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

poikkeus

100+ Head-Fier
I've enjoyed an HD800 phone for years. I'm not considering selling it.

But I'd like to get a contrast headphone that will let me listen to music that's more fun. I detest bass bloat, but I also like it when a pair of phones render music with more impact. I want it to be easy to drive, no amp.

I've done some preliminary research:

1. Fostex TH-900 Mk 2. I hear that these phones have lots of bass, some treble, and a V-shaped signature, whatever that means. I've seen these used for around $700.
2. Fostex TH-X00. The price is fairly reasonable, even new - though I read that the sound can vary a bit according to the wood used. The blackwood, which is going through Massdrop funding, is said to be a winner.
3. Ultrasone Pro 900. I'm not an Ultrasone fanboy, but I understand that the quality of the bass is stellar.

Anyone have any hints, recommendations?

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Koss Porta Pros with Yaxi pads... prefer them over the HD6XX/HD58X for enjoying music (they simply emotionally connect you to the music unlike most any other headphone and have more forward and open sounding midrange/vocals) and they have near the subbass impact yet a little more midbass punch than a TH-X00 Purpleheart... for $50 total investment.

Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads is simply one of those things you HAVE to try if you are into headphones...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 4
Ha! I'm on the same boat as you! and I even narrowed down to the same options as you. I'm a beyerdynamic fan, so I'll suggest the DT-770, easy to drive, impactful bass and that signature beyer peak; which it really isn't' that bad. When I auditioned the DT-770 next to the HD800s, the beyer held their own, of course the HD800s outclassed them in detail and finesse, but for what their worth the DT-770 are an amazing deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back