Looking for a mix between a Denon D2000 and an Ultrasone HFI-780
Sep 23, 2015 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FlyingFungus

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all!

Haven't posted here in about 2 years (not that I was a big poster to begin with). 

I'm looking for another pair of headphones. My main headphone is my Denon D2000, which get a decent amount of use for music and youtube videos. I also use my Ultrasone HFI-780's if I do gaming and sometimes I'll use them for music. I also have M-Audio Q40's which I use occasionally for music. 

I'm looking for another pair of headphones, preferably new but don't mind slightly used, and for under $500. I don't really need new headphones, just want a pair for variety. I would consider even selling my M-Audio Q40's and my AKG K240 MKII (although they look in pretty rough shape, since I haven't used them in years or take care of them...shame on me!). 

Basically I'm looking for a mix between my Denon D2000 and my Ultrasone HFI-780. I love the bass on both headphones, so similar or even better bass is something I'm looking for. Something that has similar highs to the Denon (the HFI-780 can be a little harsh and even fatiguing at higher volumes mainly). Also looking for something that's a bit more lively than the Denon's and about as lively and in-your-face as the Ultrasone's, if not a little less.

I'd be using them for everything really. Probably more for music, but I'd use them for gaming as well as movies and videos etc. I mainly listen to metal, but I also listen to Pop (Top 40 stuff), Movie Soundtrack. 

I mainly just plug into a USB Creative Sound Blaster or straight into my PS4 Controller. I might buy a DAC, which I've wanted to do for years but never really felt the need for one personally. However, I am considering one...from Schiit (unless there's a better alternative for the $100-$200 range). 

I've looked at a lot of different headphones on this site but I still seem to be confused as to what a good choice would be. I'm open to any brand, again, preferably new but I would consider used. Not in a rush to buy anything so if something is going to go down in price, I can wait.

Any other questions, just ask away.

Sep 23, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I mainly just plug into a USB Creative Sound Blaster or straight into my PS4 Controller.

Which model USB Creative Sound Blaster model do have?
Wonder if a Schiit Fulla would improve the audio quality of your current headphones, while using your PC?

A Schiit (optical) Modi DAC could be used with both a computer (Mac or PC) and a gaming console (PS4).
So you might consider getting a Modi /Magni combo?

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 6

Which model USB Creative Sound Blaster model do have?
Wonder if a Schiit Fulla would improve the audio quality of your current headphones, while using your PC?

A Schiit (optical) Modi DAC could be used with both a computer (Mac or PC) and a gaming console (PS4).
So you might consider getting a Modi /Magni combo?

I'm not even sure...it's a couple years old. It's basically just a USB stick. Main reason I got it was because the audio on my old laptop just stopped working.

I was looking at the Schiit Modi/Magni combo. I'm definitely considering that one...however, for me it's not about improving the quality of my current headphones (as I think they sound great as is although the improvement would be welcome), but more about just getting another pair of headphones for more variety I guess. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 6
  I'm not even sure...it's a couple years old. It's basically just a USB stick. Main reason I got it was because the audio on my old laptop just stopped working.

I was looking at the Schiit Modi/Magni combo. I'm definitely considering that one...however, for me it's not about improving the quality of my current headphones (as I think they sound great as is although the improvement would be welcome), but more about just getting another pair of headphones for more variety I guess. 

I'm guessing you have something like the Creative Labs Go ($40 USB sound card).
You might consider investing into something like the Schiit Fulla ($90), USB/DAC/amp.
It should do a better job of bring out the audio quality in your music, with your current headphones
The Denon AH-D2000 usually got good reviews from their owners, not sure what you could get for something better (or different), for your budget.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 6

I'm guessing you have something like the Creative Labs Go ($40 USB sound card).
You might consider investing into something like the Schiit Fulla ($90), USB/DAC/amp.
It should do a better job of bring out the audio quality in your music, with your current headphones
The Denon AH-D2000 usually got good reviews from their owners, not sure what you could get for something better (or different), for your budget.

Perhaps I'll check that out the Schiit Fulla first...or the Modi/Magni combo. I'm really happy with the Denon's. Had them for 2 years now.

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Still taking more suggestions though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back