looking for a Minidisc player
Feb 9, 2002 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sideswiped

Head-Fier
I'm gonna be leaving the country for awhile this summer and i want to take my music with me.... so I think i might try and get my hands on a decent Minidisc player anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something small(&sleak
smily_headphones1.gif
) that can hook up to my computer and that is realativly cheap... thanks

btw are the Sony MZ-R700DPC's any good?

Feb 9, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 8
I really like my Sony MZ-R70 but it doesn't play loud enough for many [deaf] people, and I'm not sure if they sell it anymore. Have you checked out www.minidisc.org -- there's a TON of info there about all kinds of models.

I got it in a box with "PC" after it so I got the Xitel Hi-Fi analog link. It works really well and in fact I prefer it to my soundcard for use with an external amp such as a headamp or a speaker amp or reciever. It doesn't quite provide enough power for headphones by themselves but it isn't meant to, otherwise it's a good thing to have around.

Also, if you've never used a minidisc recorder, let me give you some advice: ALWAYS use manual recording level control with an analog input. In my experience, this will save a lot of aggrivation.

Feb 9, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by sideswiped
I'm gonna be leaving the country for awhile this summer and i want to take my music with me.... so I think i might try and get my hands on a decent Minidisc player anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something small(&sleak
smily_headphones1.gif
) that can hook up to my computer and that is realativly cheap... thanks

You might want to look for a Sharp unit. I tried a JVC that is supposed to sound very similar to Sharps and two Sonys and from that experience can second that Sonys don't have the best sound in MD players (from the headphone jack).

Generally, it's not a bad idea to buy an old unit cheaply if you don't need the latest gadgets.

If you're considering to use a portable amp for best sound, you'll need to find a unit with a line out. The Sony MZ-R50 is an excellent unit for this, although it's not the smallest.

Quote:

btw are the Sony MZ-R700DPC's any good?

I'm a frayed knot. I've tried it and it sounded distinctively worse than my JVC unit and it also has a cheap plastic case.

Feb 10, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by pawwh98
can second that Sonys don't have the best sound in MD players (from the headphone jack).

For the record, Sony doesn't sound "worse" than Sharp or JVC. They sound *different.* Sharp has EQ'd their headphone jacks to be warmer and bassier than Sony units, which have flatter response from the headphone jack. So whether or not one sounds "better" or "worse" depends on personal preferences.

Feb 11, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I'll second the MZ-R50

I'll third that recommendation. This thing is BUILT! It's a very substantial piece of equipment and, to my ears at least, it sounds great. I picked up mine in mint condition on e-bay for about $125. Highly recommended.

Feb 12, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 8
id recommend the R900... a lil bit more but rather sturdy, great for just about anything, only precaution, watch out for dust going in thru the side wheels... otherwise i hear the R50 is a very good unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back