Looking for a midrange or lower well rounded closed pair of headphones with a good soundstage
Feb 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DarkDreamT2

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here and just read up on the new headphone buying guide and saw a bunch of examples of types of headphones. So far, the KRK KNS 6400 seems to be the closest to what I'm looking for, but in essence I would like a pair that is very clear overall and balanced, so that I can hear all the notes and instruments clearly, with a bass that has oompf to it but not so much that it overshadows the highs and mids.

I am clearly terrible at describing this, but essentially I just want as much clarity as I can get while being able to up the volume without the bass becoming overbearing or the highs becoming too tinny. And I would like it to be closed but still have a good soundstage, preferrable with removable cables but I'm not too picky on that.

Lastly, I would like it to be no higher than $200. Thank you for your help in advanced

I listen to all types of music. A few examples of what I would be listening to can be found here: 

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 11
The Sennheiser HD 598, hands down. It has a wonderful soundstage for the price, an airy, liquid midrange that is absolutely beautiful for vocals and guitars. The only fault you may have with the HD 598 is the bass- it's well controlled and tight but there is a lack of impact in the sub-bass. I've tried an amp or two with the HD 598's and it definitely gives the bass more body and a little bit of punch. On Amazon, there's currently a great sale on the HD 598's, so that is an excellent option.

If you don't care for the Senn's, the SoundMAGIC HP 100/200 are also great headphones. The HP100 has a great presentation and is one of the top closed headphones under $200. If you can pony up the money, the HP200 are even better. They have a lovely sparkle (perhaps fatiguing for some) and great bass; they're similar to the Sennheiser HD 650 but more exciting. (amping is a must)

Hope this helps! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 11
I had KRK8400 and based on several reviews KNS6400 is similar or at least has the same house sound and build. My comment pertain to KNS8400. It's quite comfortable and isolation is above average. Both aspects would be less with 6400 because it doesn't come with the memory foam earpads of the 8400, though you can buy them and use them with 6400. It is extraordinarily clear and resolving. Treble is a little crisp. And it has little bass--not no bass--but little. I would use it for monitoring. The only real problem is the stock cable, which bears noise into the left earcup, and some have replaced it with the K450/Q460 cable. Otherwise, it's surprisingly good.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 11
I'm so sorry, the more you suggest the more I read the more I learn. Is there something out there like this that also has sensitivity?

Sensitivity rating or more sensitive sounding (not sure what that means)?

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Let me ask a different way: what are you trying to achieve?

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #11 of 11
It doesn't need an amp, but like every model will sound better with a decent amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back