Looking for a Mid-Range Portable Player
Feb 20, 2017 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cdelucia

New Head-Fier
Looking for a high quality portable audio player in the $200 price range (but willing to go a bit higher). I currently have a Fiio X3, and while it fits the bill for a hifi player, there are several things lacking.

Besides having 192KHz /24bit capability, features must include:
1) Replay gain - Strictly through metadata tags in the file's header. Usually selectable between track and album gain.
2) Queue playing - While one file is playing, select another that will play next when the current file in finished.
3) SDXC card compatible.

Less important, but nice to have:
4) Picks up where listener left off on podcast files.

It should be noted I really don't care about the screen - it's an audio player first and foremost. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Following this thread.

I just received a Fiio X1, and it is leaving a bit to be desired. I don't love the interface, there is a lot of lag time when selecting new songs, battery life is weak, and I expected it to be a smaller player for what it is (I should have checked the dimensions). I have been fully satisfied with my Cowon J3 for 6-7 years; the battery just started to go in the last year, and it has mysteriously gone MIA in the last month. My biggest issue with the J3 was playlist creation (and queued playing as you mention), external memory capacity (I got XC cards to work but it was a pain), and lack of a true line out. The interface was a little unusual for someone new who picks it up and wants to change the song, but I was accustomed to it.
My only additional requirements to your list is that I would like bluetooth (primarily for car audio and to preserve the integrity of the headphone jack), and a line out function. I'd say my price range is closer to $300 after this X1 tryout. I was considering just using a new phone as my DAP, but I'm waiting for the new Samsung release and I prefer having a separate player anyways. Hope you get some responses.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Checked and the Cowon Plenue D does not read replay gain tags in the file header. Also should have noted that I guess I like having physical buttons instead of a touch screen due to my regular use of the X3 while driving. Definitely a plus (if not a necessity really) to not have to look down when driving.

X5 2nd gen is looking pretty good. Just don't think it has the ability to bookmark tracks should the need arise, as in marking a podcast half-way through so you can pick up where you left off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back