Looking for a mid-fi headphone with great bass and wide soundstage
Jan 27, 2021 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ics1974

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Currently I own HD600, 6XX and Sundara. Looking for a mid-fi headphone with good bass and wider soundstage the Sundara.
Does HE 4XX, HE 400i, Ananda or LCD-2c have better soundstage and bass then Sundara?
Any other suggestions?

Jan 27, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2 of 12
The LCD-2C has about the same amount of bass as the Sundara, and a smaller soundstage, so I'd pass on that one.

You might have to go the used route to get the most bang for your buck. It's hard to get large soundstage and heavy bass on the cheap, as I've found that these features really seem to be incompatible. That being said, I think Hifiman's HE-500 or HE-560 might be just what you're looking for. The HE-500 is much harder to find these days, but it's among the best headphones I've heard, irrespective of price. Bass is absolutely bottomless, and has a good bit of power behind it (certainly more than the Sundara). The HE-560, while not quite as good, is much easier to find. Bass is very similar to the HE-500, though maybe a tiny bit less extension. You would really only notice this in side-to-side comparison though, and it's ttill a solid upgrade over the Sundara.

The biggest difference between the HE-500 and HE-560 is their treble response. The HE-560 has a bit of a spike in the 3khz region, while the HE-500 has very smooth treble. I didn't find the HE-560 to be overly bright, it just has a little bit more of a bite to it than the HE-500.

If you don't mind spending a little more on a used headphone, the Klipsch HP-3 ticks a lot of boxes, although not without compromise. Bass is extremely heavy for an open back and soundstage is very large, but treble is a little on the hot side and bass is fairly loose. The lower mids are accentuated, and the upper mids are down in level somewhat, so some people describe them as being recessed. They aren't recessed to me, they simply sound "full", but it is worth mentioning.

Jan 27, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 12
The LCD-2C has about the same amount of bass as the Sundara, and a smaller soundstage, so I'd pass on that one.

You might have to go the used route to get the most bang for your buck. It's hard to get large soundstage and heavy bass on the cheap, as I've found that these features really seem to be incompatible. That being said, I think Hifiman's HE-500 or HE-560 might be just what you're looking for. The HE-500 is much harder to find these days, but it's among the best headphones I've heard, irrespective of price. Bass is absolutely bottomless, and has a good bit of power behind it (certainly more than the Sundara). The HE-560, while not quite as good, is much easier to find. Bass is very similar to the HE-500, though maybe a tiny bit less extension. You would really only notice this in side-to-side comparison though, and it's ttill a solid upgrade over the Sundara.

The biggest difference between the HE-500 and HE-560 is their treble response. The HE-560 has a bit of a spike in the 3khz region, while the HE-500 has very smooth treble. I didn't find the HE-560 to be overly bright, it just has a little bit more of a bite to it than the HE-500.

If you don't mind spending a little more on a used headphone, the Klipsch HP-3 ticks a lot of boxes, although not without compromise. Bass is extremely heavy for an open back and soundstage is very large, but treble is a little on the hot side and bass is fairly loose. The lower mids are accentuated, and the upper mids are down in level somewhat, so some people describe them as being recessed. They aren't recessed to me, they simply sound "full", but it is worth mentioning.
Thanks for the input. I assumed LCD2c had a larger soundstage then Sundara. Good to know. I will definitely look into your suggestions. Soundstage wise how does the Ananda, HE4XX and HE400i compare to Sundara?

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Fidelio X2

Jan 27, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the input. I assumed LCD2c had a larger soundstage then Sundara. Good to know. I will definitely look into your suggestions. Soundstage wise how does the Ananda, HE4XX and HE400i compare to Sundara?

Haven't heard them, but I am curious to know how the Ananda stacks up against the HE500/560; it's been on my radar for years now. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

The LCD-2C was pretty disappointing for me, though. I had assumed it would be pretty great, especially considering all the hype it gets. I was particularly interested in the bass response, as everybody raves about it. When I brought up how disappointed in the bass I was, I was told it's because I wasn't EQing them. That they only have great bass if you EQ them, as if that's not true of every headphone. It really ticked me off.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 12
I’m a bit biased, but the HD 560S from Sennheiser was designed with a similar tuning as the HD 600, so no midbass hump, but the sub bass extension is superior and it hits a bit harder than an HD 650. The drivers are also angled on the HD 560S instead of “flat” perpendicular to the ear canal on the HD 600, so you get more outer-ear interactions that help present more directional imaging.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 12
I’m a bit biased, but the HD 560S from Sennheiser was designed with a similar tuning as the HD 600, so no midbass hump, but the sub bass extension is superior and it hits a bit harder than an HD 650. The drivers are also angled on the HD 560S instead of “flat” perpendicular to the ear canal on the HD 600, so you get more outer-ear interactions that help present more directional imaging.
Thanks but I owned and returned the 560s. I just felt they sounded a little to thin for my taste and I was not a fan of the treble. Other then that they were really nice.

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Hello,

Currently I own HD600, 6XX and Sundara. Looking for a mid-fi headphone with good bass and wider soundstage the Sundara.
Does HE 4XX, HE 400i, Ananda or LCD-2c have better soundstage and bass then Sundara?
Any other suggestions?
I would definitely recommend auditioning the R70X from AT. Even if you don't get them, should definitely try it out. You'll be amazed.

Jan 27, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks but I owned and returned the 560s. I just felt they sounded a little to thin for my taste and I was not a fan of the treble. Other then that they were really nice.
Fair enough! I did say they were like the HD 600, and didn’t have the small mid-bass bump of the HD 650. You gain one thing in trade for another 🤷‍♂️

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 12
Ananda is a good headphone. Considering you like the HD600 and the Sundara which should sound similar to the Ananda i think it's worth a try. Ananda is like a HD600 with better bass and better soundstage while losing a bit of that excellent tonality. Never heard the Sundara.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back