Looking for a IEM, next move.
Jun 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Novella

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone , I'm Jeff. New around these parts . I've read the forums for a while and just recently signed up. I'm basically a newbie when it comes to this stuff. I do 80% of my listening while I'm on the train/bus going to and from work. For the last year or so I've been using Ultrasone HFI-780. Straight out of the ipod, I love them. I wish I could see spending the cash to get the edition 8's , but thats seems just pure crazy. I was thinking about sending my 780's to ALO for a mod. About a month ago I bought a pair of Grado 225i's. I also like these too but depending on how crowded the train is depends on how much of the music I can actually hear, and if its not too crowded I don't like turning it up to much because then everyone can hear what I'm listening to. I'm not sure what I want to do with the Grado's. I've never had a good pair of iem's and want to get one. The most I ever spent was for the Bose in ears, that I wasn't really all that impressed with, and going from those to the ultrasone's was like night and day. Like I said, I love the sound that the 780's give me right out of the ipod, also really like the grado's just wish that sound could have the clean bass of the ultrasone and a closed back. I think I would like the iem more for my commute, I've read lot of good things and I'm pretty sure I want ie8. I will also at some point end up trying westone 3 and shure se530. Any suggestions as to what I should purchase next would be great. Also any question welcomed too.

Jun 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a pair of SM3 coming in Monday/Tuesday next week and have owned a pair of IE8. I'll let you know what I think after I have listened to the SM3 a bit. I also am currently using a pair of Monster Turbine Professional Coppers and do feel that properly burned in the Copper outclasses the IE8 in every way except for sound soundstage.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 5
If you like those phones I'm sure you'll love the Westone 3s. They have an emphasis on the treble and bass as well so you're going to get that "clean" bass you like along with crisp detail.

Granted the SM3s are getting a lot of great reviews right now but their sound signature is more neutral.... I don't know if you would prefer that or not but if you like accentuated treble and bass the W3s might be more suited for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back