Looking for a home amp with no hissing, between 300-500
Jul 14, 2006 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
leaning towards tube or hybrid tube..Would like good bass, & extreme detail & resolution..& warmth. Also, an amp that will REALLY drive my 650's..I fel like they are wasting away..
blink.gif
I recently got the PAV2 maxxed..Good portable, but don't like the hiss, & for some reason the bass is severly hendered with both my 595's & 650's.Also there is distortion at the higher levels..I want somthing weighty, that is a power hungry machine & spits fire on a budget..I guess I have a bit of buyers remourse with the PAV2, even though I like it, if that makes sense.I know I always post threads about amps..Just so many differnt ones & I'm pretty new to this..Thank you..

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 11
In my opinion, extreme detail and resolution don't really belong in the same sentence as warmth. Additionally, you might be hard pressed to find an amp that possesses those traits within your price range. The Gilmore Lite seems to be a fan favorite as far as detail and resolution go. Or, you could go the DIY route and search for an M3, which are supposed to be a warmer sounding solid state amp. Another DIY amp that comes to mind is the PPAv2. I used to own the older design, and absolutely loved it with my Sennheisers. With a good power supply and the AD627/637 opamp combo, it was a killer setup.

As for tube amps, I'm not too keen on the current Chinese designs, but I've been using a Millett Hybrid for quite some time, and have no complaints driving my HD650's. I'd also look into the EC-01 from Eddie Current. It's $350 and is supposed to be excellent with Sennheiser's.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 11
although i cant speak for sennheizers, i like my millet QUITE a lot.

every akg i have hit with it has responded quite well. k240 (several variants) k340, and k1000. yes, i run my k1000 from my millet.
grados are also very well taken care of with the millet. sr-40, and ms-pro

when you say "hiss-less" you really should specify what headphoens you are using. reading your signature i doubt you will ever hear the hiss at all if its even there. my millet hisses only a LITTLE bit with my etymotic er4-s's, but then so does my source. with the knob turnned all the way up, ont eh grados (no music playing) thre was some hiss. with music playing, grados are about defeaning at 1/2 knob.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 11
To second some of Thaddy's suggestions (and to add some of my own opinions), Gilmore lite (or dynalo) would be a good addition if your looking for an amp that adds a tad of brightness to your listening pleasure. Some consider it to be overly bright, but I find the combo to reveal alot of the intrinsic qualities of the 600/650 cans that are typically veiled by lack of power from other amps.

I've also had the pleasure of using the PPA with my HD600's and would utilize it for certain types of music. Not as clear and transparent as the dynalo, but provides quite a bit of punch in terms of base (as long as you have the base boost feature) which can't be easily achieved with a simple portable amp like a Mint or CMOY. Would highly recommend this amp if you like basey type of music.

Now for the Millett Hybrid (which I just recently finish building). Its a very unique amp that you will either really like or hate with the HD600/650's. Some consider the sound to be somewhat organic, but I'm not really sure what that means. To me, it brings a lot of the intrinsic tube atmosphere with a dab of clarity found in solid state amps. I've yet to make a decision on whether I like the sound on the HD600's.

Hope my opinions help you decide. Good luck!

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
In my opinion, extreme detail and resolution don't really belong in the same sentence as warmth. Additionally, you might be hard pressed to find an amp that possesses those traits within your price range. The Gilmore Lite seems to be a fan favorite as far as detail and resolution go. Or, you could go the DIY route and search for an M3, which are supposed to be a warmer sounding solid state amp. Another DIY amp that comes to mind is the PPAv2. I used to own the older design, and absolutely loved it with my Sennheisers. With a good power supply and the AD627/637 opamp combo, it was a killer setup.

As for tube amps, I'm not too keen on the current Chinese designs, but I've been using a Millett Hybrid for quite some time, and have no complaints driving my HD650's. I'd also look into the EC-01 from Eddie Current. It's $350 and is supposed to be excellent with Sennheiser's.

Oh, yeah...With the Damper mod, the EC is definatly at the top of the list..I read the 6mon reviews..& weights 5.5lbs, which I like..Meaty, powerful, & built like a tank. I also saw the Stello 1000 & marveled at it..It's a 100.0 over my budget, but damn..Does it look very nice..

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Well now you have plenty of options, so make a freaking decision!

wink.gif

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Can't beat the Bada PH12 for the most realistic sound in a headphone amp, possibly for any under $2000. Looking for a better one all the time.

Click on the Bada link in my signature below.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Can't beat the Bada PH12 for the most realistic sound in a headphone amp, possibly for any under $2000. Looking for a better one all the time.

Click on the Bada link in my signature below.

would you rank it better then the EC-1, X7, HR-2, Lil dot 2, Stello 1000, & GS-1? I'm considering those aswell..Guess I'm looking for audio uphoria..Stimulates my senses.. I hear tubes are god at that..Warm, lush, liquid..

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
would you rank it better then the EC-1, X7, HR-2, Lil dot 2, Stello 1000, & GS-1? I'm considering those aswell..Guess I'm looking for audio uphoria..Stimulates my senses.. I hear tubes are god at that..Warm, lush, liquid..

SS is dynamic, quick transient response, detailed but lean in tone body and deficit in revealing timbral nuances.

Tubes can provide for fuller and richer tone body and resolution of timbral nuances. You can get too rich though - euphonic and overly liquid with tone image edge blurring where instuments mesh together in a mass.

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #11 of 11
In your price range, and meeting your other stated criteria, The Corda Aria would do nicely.

You might also consider the Hybrid Dared MP-5. Although it has no hiss whatsoever, in its stock form it does have some very, very low level hum when used with sensitive cans. The hum is not volume dependent, so with the volume up even a little bit, the music easily obfuscates the low level hum. When driving the K1000s there is no hum at all and the detail is quite astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back