Looking for a higher end KSC-75 (good open phones!)
Jul 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On a side note: I listened to a few Grados, and am I the only one here that considers the amount of treble delivered just painful for rock? I own one of the brightest guitar amplifiers on the market, and that thing does not deliver as much harshness as sr225 does on recordings with treble recession.

not at all.... Grados are a love/hate thing. its all about hearing perception. What sounds similar to a KSC and what sounds different can vary as greatly as our musical tastes. My carvin amp's clean channel is also on the brighter side, yet I find Grados to be remotely close to replicating that kind of brightness. My fave overdriven amp is a Marshall 2204... also on the bright side, and I also find Grados remotely close to that kind of sound.

To my ears the DT880 (older version) is very different from the KSC. I haven't heard the current DT880 though, so the OP should probably keep that in mind. Actually, the older DT990 and K240s are also similar to the KSC75, but both need robust amplification, IMHO. The older DT770 is also very close, in a closed can form.

the OP raises a question completely based on personal perception, hence the vastly different recommendations.

The other thing to consider is that each member can only (accurately) comment on the cans they have heard. So naturally, if all they have heard is an HD280, HD580, DT880 and K701... they are going to pick a recommendation based on that field. If another member has sampled an HF1, DT880, K240s, DT770 his recommendation will certainly be different.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

On a side note: I listened to a few Grados, and am I the only one here that considers the amount of treble delivered just painful for rock? I own one of the brightest guitar amplifiers on the market, and that thing does not deliver as much harshness as sr225 does on recordings with treble recession.

Yes, I am of the same opinion. But it is easily solved using flats instead of bowls. Radical change and perfect for rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

To the person thinking his iRiver can drive hd595 - you have not heard a correctly driven hd595.

Rotel rcd-06 - MF x-can v3.

The reason the 595 gets better with better source/amp is because it is a high quality headphone that scales well, not because it is hard to drive, it's not much harder to drive 595 than portapro.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by vexeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Grados comfortable? What about the 325i?

Also, are the HF1 still available? Or do I have to find someone selling these?

My 225's were surprisingly comfortable. I suppose it depends on your ears. If you have bigger ears they might not fit as well. My ears fit just inside of the bowls.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 41
Thanks for all the input. There's clearly too many choices.
confused.gif

Does anyone else have anything to say about the Yuin PK1? For some reason I'm liking the idea of the earbuds with great sound.

Otherwise I'll probably go for the HF1 or Goldring 150. Or DT880 or SR225. Or ...
blink.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

confused.gif

Does anyone else have anything to say about the Yuin PK1? For some reason I'm liking the idea of the earbuds with great sound.

Otherwise I'll probably go for the HF1 or Goldring 150. Or DT880 or SR225. Or ...
blink.gif

I really like the HF-1 and heartily recommend it...but I think the pk-1 is equal sound quality in a smaller, cheaper, and more attainable package. The pk-1 has a little less bass, but IMO a better bass with more detail than the HF-1 can demonstrate.

I've been here for a few years and can't believe I found an earbud that can compete with a Grado
blink.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rotel rcd-06 - MF x-can v3.

The reason the 595 gets better with better source/amp is because it is a high quality headphone that scales well, not because it is hard to drive, it's not much harder to drive 595 than portapro.

It does not sound even remotely as good out of portable sources as it does out of specific amplifiers. The fact that you can easily get volume and decent sound out of it does not mean it is being properly driven. I'd imagine x-can v3 can produce excellent results, but the best I heard so far was Darkvoice 332. And through that, comparing to Meier Audio Porta Corda on the same source, it is like listening to 2 entirely different headphones. Just a demonstration of the hd595 need for amperes.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

but the best I heard so far was Darkvoice 332. And through that, comparing to Meier Audio Porta Corda on the same source, it is like listening to 2 entirely different headphones. Just a demonstration of the hd595 need for amperes.

Of course, the darkvoice is of a lot better quality, I don't think that it is the power that the porta corda produces that is the problem, this just proves that the 595 scales well, but it will still be better than px100 or 485 on a portable. while this might not be the case for HD650.

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, the darkvoice is of a lot better quality, I don't think that it is the power that the porta corda produces that is the problem, this just proves that the 595 scales well, but it will still be better than px100 or 485 on a portable. while this might not be the case for HD650.

I guess we have different perspectives on what scaling means as opposed to driving well. I can explain via PM how exactly I differentiate if you would like, especially in the case of hd595 (I have my reasons), but otherwise this is becoming a thread jack so I need to cease from posting on this topic here.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

confused.gif

blink.gif

certainly can't go wrong with the PK1.

its very different from the KSC75 though, much more clear and detailed across the spectrum. The PK1 is a lot flatter across the spectrum, does not have the bass bloat in particular. Mids are similar in amplitude, but the PK1 has a lot more texture resolution. PK1 bass is fast and snappy, compared to the KSC, which can be a little congested.

I think the KSC bass extends deeper by just a hair.
So, if you get the yuin, warm amplification makes it more enjoyable, IMHO. Definitely stay away from bright, edgy, shouty amps and sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back