Looking for a high end amp with passive output. Alternatives to Schiit MJOLNIR 2?
Jan 30, 2017 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hamedy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there! 

I'm looking for a headphone amp that meets these requirements

-is kind of an end-game quality, will be my main amp for some years. My signature preference is neutral. 
-has xlr I/O
-has 1/8 heaphone jack in front
-has passive xlr outputs for my active speakers

Optional
-have a remote control for volume control

So the idea is, my current two channel system is working wonderfully and I don't wanna change anything about it. But I thought why not use my DAC for my headphone system also? 
It's a Primare DAC30 connected to my Genelec G4's. Very happy with the sound, so I want the amp to not change the sound at all for the speakers. 

of course I have to sit close to the system for music listening with headphones but when using the speakers, would be nice to have a remote control for volume. Not a must though since most stuff are streamed through apps via chromecast and I have volume control through that. 

One candidate is the Schiit MJOLNIR 2 but I wanna check out as many units as possible before I make a decision. 

Thanks for your input, 
Hamed

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 4

I'm looking for a headphone amp that meets these requirements

-is kind of an end-game quality, will be my main amp for some years. My signature preference is neutral. 
-has xlr I/O
-has 1/8 heaphone jack in front
-has passive xlr outputs for my active speakers

Optional
-have a remote control for volume control

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN.htm

Feb 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 4

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMPEN.htm

Thanks a lot, didn't even know about this brand until now! This looks good and I can actually order a remote for an extra fee. 

But is it really not that many options out there with these requirements? I should add that I'm looking for something under 1K (USD) but can stretch it to 1.5K or maybe even 2K if I see something that is really good. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks a lot, didn't even know about this brand until now! This looks good and I can actually order a remote for an extra fee. 

But is it really not that many options out there with these requirements? I should add that I'm looking for something under 1K (USD) but can stretch it to 1.5K or maybe even 2K if I see something that is really good. 

Not all of those. It's hard enough finding something with a 3.5mm jack paired with XLR, since the former is more usually found on portable amps where balanced connections use something other than XLR (like the 6-pin Hirose round socket or that other 4-pin square socket; or heck, 2.5mm TRRS) while the latter is found on desktop gear that, if they had both balanced XLR and SE, would have 6.3mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back