Looking for a high-end all-in-one upgrade recommendation.
Aug 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

securitybunny

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

While I have been enjoying my HD800 headphones with the Burson Conductor, I am looking to upgrade once again. I am looking for recommendations for an all-in-one solid state headphone amp that uses high quality components with an excellent DAC, supports I2S, and is relatively new/up-to-date in technology advancements. Budget is ~$3,000. 

Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 6
The problem is that I2S standard is not really a standard - various devices use different types of connectors, and that leads to lots of problems.
If this is just for listening, you're not going to need 32-bit signal, and that seems to be the only advantage of I2S.

For all-in-one solid state solutions within your budget I'd suggest to look at the following:

Lynx Hilo. You could use AES/EBU or S/PDIF to connect, however the USB is so good you may not need the Hydra. It's a pro grade box with one of the best DACs I have heard and a very good single ended headphone amp. 

Sennheiser HDVD800 (also with AES/EBU S/PDIF and USB) has a balanced headphone amp that is tailor made for the HD800, but the DAC is less than stellar.

Violectric V281 is a very new contender. By default it is a balanced amp only, but you can add a DAC card to it with one of USB / Toslink / Coax interfaces. The amp is very good with the HD800, but I know nothing about the DACs.

There may be more, but this is the gear I had direct experience with.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 6
I think a better route to take would be to get an amplifier in the 3000 dollar range and then use the conductor as a DAC. This way the next upgrade will be easier and the current upgrade will probably be better then buying a all in one combo again. I have the HD 800 and the Conductor and  got the WA5 after as an upgrade. Although I haven't listened to the set up with the Conductor as the DAC ( I have been using BDA-2 for now) a DAC will not significantly improve the sound quality. I would suggest the WA5 LE - 2750$. The WA5 in my opinion is the best amp you could get for the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back