Looking for a headset, help a n00b out.
May 27, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, I've been looking around for a while and the ones I saw recommended everywhere were (obviously) the AD-700, and the Grado range, specifically the SR-60i and -80i. All of these are within my price range, maybe even the Sennheiser HD555's as well(which I'd rather not buy, they seemed cheap and plastic when I handled them in a store).

Give me a model :p And suggest new ones. I'm lost, really.

+1 on the AD700s. I bought mine a number of months ago along with a pair of the Grado SR80s. I originally thought that I'd use the AD700s for gaming and the SR80s for music, but I ended up using the AD700s for both. No amp needed (I have one and it adds a little bass) and I can wear them for hours on end. I can't say the same for the Grados -- my ears hurt after wearing them for more than 10 minutes so they've been on the shelf until I figure out what I'm going to do with them.

I've been wrapping my old Sennheiser headset around my neck in the meantime whenever I need a mic, so I'm thinking of getting a clip-on mic since the headband starts to bug my neck and I won't give up the sound quality of the AD700s.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #32 of 41
For gaming headphone + bit of music listening and no mic requirement, all under $100 new?
AD700, no doubt.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing though: How does the AD700 compare to the HD555 from Sennheiser? The two are pretty close in price and I've heard good things about the Senn.

You are stretchign this a bt, but I can be like thyat too.
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

I've seen a review on amazon, of the ad700 and the reviewer menitoned that the SQ is better, check it out yourself though.
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #35 of 41
I honestly have no idea how the AD700 compares to the other audiophile headphones in the same price range. I could only repeat what others have said that sounds true to me. The AD700 seems to have to most realistic(or should I say neutral) sound for it's price (though some people prefer certain unrealistic sounds like a boomy bass). Since the sound is more realistic, this lends to it being a bit better for games in both realism and positional audio. It's also one of the most comfortable ones. I'm very picky about comfort and I find these very enjoyable to wear. I used to dread wearing headphones because of how they would make my ears hurt for a couple of days after only wearing them a few hours.

I can't say for certain that you'll like them better than the other headphones in this price range but I doubt you would regret buying them. Since the sound is more neutral, it makes these headphones a good baseline for comparisons. So, it's a good first headphone choice. Of course, feel free to read people's reviews and make up your own mind about what you're looking for. For example, if you want some isolation(get rid of outside noise or keep others from hearing what you're listening to), the A700 may be a better choice. The A700 is basically the same as the AD700 only it's closed back instead of open.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly have no idea how the AD700 compares to the other audiophile headphones in the same price range. I could only repeat what others have said that sounds true to me. The AD700 seems to have to most realistic(or should I say neutral) sound for it's price (though some people prefer certain unrealistic sounds like a boomy bass). Since the sound is more realistic, this lends to it being a bit better for games in both realism and positional audio. It's also one of the most comfortable ones. I'm very picky about comfort and I find these very enjoyable to wear. I used to dread wearing headphones because of how they would make my ears hurt for a couple of days after only wearing them a few hours.

I can't say for certain that you'll like them better than the other headphones in this price range but I doubt you would regret buying them. Since the sound is more neutral, it makes these headphones a good baseline for comparisons. So, it's a good first headphone choice. Of course, feel free to read people's reviews and make up your own mind about what you're looking for. For example, if you want some isolation(get rid of outside noise or keep others from hearing what you're listening to), the A700 may be a better choice. The A700 is basically the same as the AD700 only it's closed back instead of open.

Yeah, though for me the said "more accurate" sound of Klipsch Custom 2s was far from enjoyable than even CX300s. Quite subjectibe.
redface.gif

Also - if there are no minuses with the A700s over the AD700, then why are the AD700s around so to say?

While writigng that I though maybe the price is different and it does seem to be - about £50 more for the A700s over AD700s - is that it though?

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #37 of 41
The minus of the A700 is the sound is different because it is closed.

Again, I can't speak from experience on how it actually sounds since I've never worn them. It's too bad you can't just order headphones and return them if you don't like them. It's like trying to order food online without ever having tried it before. You can only go on reputation and what other people say. There's no real way to know for certain if you'll like it, or if you'll get food poisoning.

I can say that, as a gamer, I thoroughly enjoy the experience these headphones give me. I can easily tell which games give better audio support. FEAR2 sounds incredible. Left4Dead sounds good but the positional audio only works 2 dimensionally, you can't tell up from down at all. Older games don't seem to have much, if any support, for positional audio. I can also say that you'll find your music more enjoyable than with any non-audiophile headphone. It's when it comes to comparing it to other audiophile headphones that it becomes a tricky issue of preference.

Jun 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

The minus of the A700 is the sound is different because it is closed.

Again, I can't speak from experience on how it actually sounds since I've never worn them. It's too bad you can't just order headphones and return them if you don't like them. It's like trying to order food online without ever having tried it before. You can only go on reputation and what other people say. There's no real way to know for certain if you'll like it, or if you'll get food poisoning.

I can say that, as a gamer, I thoroughly enjoy the experience these headphones give me. I can easily tell which games give better audio support. FEAR2 sounds incredible. Left4Dead sounds good but the positional audio only works 2 dimensionally, you can't tell up from down at all. Older games don't seem to have much, if any support, for positional audio. I can also say that you'll find your music more enjoyable than with any non-audiophile headphone. It's when it comes to comparing it to other audiophile headphones that it becomes a tricky issue of preference.

True...
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #39 of 41
ath ad700's r what i use...they have great sound..i can here people around corners and when they reload....really cool stuff for someone never having headphones before...huge difference when playin fps ...r any other game for that matter

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

If you liked the Medusa so much, why not get another one?

I recently purchased these for my online gaming needs. They are said to be rather comfy and have good quality sound in both speakers and mic. I doubt they rival an audiophile set for sound quality and they probably don't match a Medusa in positional audio but they are all around good and rather cheap comparatively.

I have had theses for about a year or more. They were great at first, but they have become terribly un comfortable after they have been broken in. That is I am here searching for a new pair. Just though I would let you know.

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #41 of 41
I'm already noticing how the padding seems to thin out. I was hoping it wouldn't be a long term concern. I guess I'll have to look more seriously into maybe making custom padding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back