Looking for a headphone under $300 for Instrumental jazz, VGM, synthwave, and occasionally, songs.
Nov 19, 2016 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DatGameh

Head-Fier
Hello.
Soon, I am gonna go to a trip, and I wish to take this opportunity to get some electronics cheaper.
I am looking for a headphone for multiple genres.
I will be using these headphones often, and bringing it everywhere I go.
Due to this, I need a closed back headphone that has decent noise isolation. Noise cancelling is alright too, as long as it doesn't ruin the sound quality by that much.
It doesn't have to be compact, because I will not store it often. If they are over sized, I wouldn't mind.
Durability is also a big factor. I am not really careful with small electronics when it comes to accidental bumps here and there.

Because I am using it for multiple genres, I don't want specialized headphones.
So BASS BOOST headphones are out of the question.
Although I like bass, I also like the other instruments. A little bias is alright.
I don't know much about the mids though. I found many headphones that fit my budget, but they are known to have recessed mids.
I don't know what that would mean for the vocals and guitars in the music, but I'm sure you guys know about this more than me.

For comparison, I tried the ATH-M50X that belongs to my friend. If anyone can compare the headphones you suggest with these, it would be quite helpful.

Some songs I listen to are: 

Roundabout by Yes
Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles
It's a Mistake by Men at Work
Clutch by The Seatbelts
NY Rush by The Seatbelts
Murder in Miami by Night Runner
Twilight by Hideki Okugawa 
Unfinished Business by Michiru Yamane
The Fish Man's Dance by Michiru Yamane
Poisonous Fire by Horizon Fire

Pretty much, I have no true bias to any genre, except Jazz.
(And I also like listening to video game music, such as those odd ones for Earth Bound)

I have found and put these headphones in research in my list of options:

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Adjustable bass, which means modularity for multiple genres. Almost no mids though.
Audio Technica ANC-9 - Noise cancelling headphones. Said to have one of the best value for NC headphones, since its $100 price drop.
Audio Technica MSR7 - Hi-Res Headphones. From what I saw, it got many 9s and 10s. Very high detail, especially with the treble. Although considered too much treble by some.
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Great overall sound. Although the brand is not well known, this seems to be a popular headphone in this forum. Some people say it has balanced mids too, but others say it doesn't. Not enough reviews to verify.
Fostex T40/50RP - Probably the one I'll get most likely. They are a modder's delight, and through that, I can hopefully begin my hobby as an audiophile, heheh

Which one do you guys suggest? Please post below!

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #2 of 3
msr7 are more musical than the m50x, and since you listen to acustic stuff you should get great things from them 
t50rp's are semi open the do leak sound in and out so think about it from what i've heard t40s lose that treble spike that makes the impact of the music incredible 

so yeah i would go for msr7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back