Looking for a headphone that excels at low volumes...
Sep 26, 2018 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

sideways

100+ Head-Fier
...something that is fairly neutral but more likely a tad mid forward...transparency is the key for low volume listening...black background...

Is there something planar that would work?? Only asking because I've owned Magnepan's before and they were wonderful at lower volumes!!

Thanks!!

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #2 of 26
I've always found that planars 'open up' at normal to moderately high volumes. Probably need a very beefy amp for low-volume listening(?).
I havn't owned any modern planars (most modern I own is HE-500), so maybe the newest ones are better.
Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I generally prefer studio monitor type headphone for low volumes. They usually have tonnes of detail and are designed for clarity and long hours of use, and are almost always closed-backs so low-volumes don't get interrupted by other quiet noises around you.

But if you really want 'mid forward' Panasonic HD10 is just about the most mid-forward headphone around.
However the janky mid-range isn't everyone's taste as it's extremely coloured/non-linear.

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 26
stax would be my best guess/advice

Sep 26, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 26
...something that is fairly neutral but more likely a tad mid forward...transparency is the key for low volume listening...black background...

The AKG K812 should work very well.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 26
May I ask why you would want to listen at loud volumes ?? LOL!!

Seriously though... I'm getting up there in years... I've had damage done from my younger days... I don't need to have music played loud in order to enjoy :)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Appreciated!!

FYI...I recently bought a pair of modded Fostex's which I just sold yesterday... they had to be cranked pretty good in order to make them sing... I was a tad disappointed...

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 26
well as you wrote in your first post yourself:
transparancy is the key to low volume listening.
Guess you'd be happy with pretty much any pair of Stax or electrostats in general.
Also HD800 works well for low volume.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 26
Grado headphones are specifically designed to be used at low volumes. People who listen too loudly get the wrong impression. I don't have a pair currently but my last pair had some info on the box to that effect. The GS1000 is often said to excel at low levels.

I like my Musical Fidelity headphones to listen quietly l. Despite being closed back I can hear what is happening in the house particularly at night. They are also ultra precise and detailed, and on the brighter side which I think helps

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 26
Sep 27, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #15 of 26
sounds cool - let us know how it turned out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back