Looking for a headphone like the ATH-M50 but better
Aug 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jupitreas

500+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I've been enjoying the ATH-M50 after having tried many different closed-back full-size monitor headphone models inluding KRK KND 8400, Sennheiser HD380, Shure SHR940, Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, Beyerdynamic DT250 250Ohm, M-Audio Q-40, Fischer Audio FA-0003 and Sony MDR-7506. I like the ATH-M50's punchy sound, solid bass and sparkly highs. Generally speaking, I am very impressed with what the M50 delivers and the white box version I have is not as dark as some people would have you believe, with the mids not being very badly recessed at all - just slightly, enough for comfortable low-volume listening and monitoring. With this said, I'd like a headphone that improves on some of the M50's faults, namely the soundstage and comfort. A little overall improvement in clarity, detail and refinement would also be nice, although the M50 is not bad at this by any stretch of the imagination.

So, here is what I am looking for:
-closed back, full size
-good solid, impactful and detailed bass. i am willing to EQ the bass up a bit if the headphone has neutral bass as stock
-fairly flat frequency response, with perhaps a slight V curve being acceptable
-needs to have clear, sharp and detailed treble
-decent isolation
-good comfort, velour earpads would be very welcome
-I'd prefer a low impedance but can go up to 600 Ohm 
-would be nice if the headphones could fold and have replacable cables, but this is not a priority
-I will be using these mainly with rock, metal and electronica, as well as for video editing

I've also tried the Ultrasone PRO900 but didnt like it at all as it sounded way too harsh in the high and upped mid frequencies for me, the bass was great though. I'd rather not go with Ultrasone though, and the Sig Pro is too expensive for me, I would not like to go over $500

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Sony Z1000 perhaps?

The reviewer at headfonia claims that it is the natural upgrade path from the M50s:
http://www.headfonia.com/first-impression-sony-z1000/

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 6
Heya,

Explore the following:

Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003). Will need bass to be enhanced for the "V" shape, but it does this well.
Beyer DT770 (and look for threads on darth beyer modifications)
T50RP (modded for bass; see extensive threads)
Denon D2000 & Denon D5000 & Denon D600

I think ultimately you would do best with the new Denon D600, or the classic D2k/D5k if you keep things stock. They have the signature you seek.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi MalVeauX! Thank you for your advice. I've found the FA003 to be a side-grade form the ATH-M50, not really an upgrade. Not a bad set of cans but I prefer the M50s. The same can be said about the DT770 Pro that I've tried (80Ohm version). It had nice big bass but the mids were too recessed for my liking and the treble a little harsh. I will consider the Fostex and the Denon though. How about new closed cans such as Focal Spirit One? Does anyone know how they compare to the M50? Or maybe the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro?

Quote:
Heya,

Explore the following:

Brainwavz HM5 (or Fischer Audio FA003). Will need bass to be enhanced for the "V" shape, but it does this well.
Beyer DT770 (and look for threads on darth beyer modifications)
T50RP (modded for bass; see extensive threads)
Denon D2000 & Denon D5000 & Denon D600

I think ultimately you would do best with the new Denon D600, or the classic D2k/D5k if you keep things stock. They have the signature you seek.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back