looking for a headphone for my brother
Dec 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

oopeteroo

500+ Head-Fier
My brother need a new headphone for piano playing + listen to music.

Doesnt matter if its closed or open.
price up to around 255 usd,
doesnt matter if new or used.
does not require an amp

what is the best for the buck out there ? or anything you guys can recommend him ?

thanks in advance

edit: i remember he really liked the sound of hd598 but not the build quality :p

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 43
What kind of music is he listening too and what will be his main audio source?

he listen to mostly classic and piano music, jpop, kpop, vocal and also anything else xD
Audio source will be the piano he is playing and computer without amp

How long is he likely to wear them at a time?  Can you point to a pair that he might have liked before and/or a pair that he didn't like?

mostly when he plays the piano etc .....he is pretty new to the headphone world so he dont have anything he really like or dislike :p

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 43
Thanks for the answers. It is still very difficult to make suggestions on the basis of the limited information. Therefore I think it is very important that your brother auditions the headphone before he buys it. Based on what I have heard myself here are a few suggestions for easy to drive headphones (hopefully other head-fiers will chime in to broaden the selection and give their opinion):

- Grado SR80e, SR125e or SR225e: On ear open headphones, very forward and exiting sounding, very good mids, sparkly treble, nice bass but not very strong sub-bass, soundstage not very big. Can become uncomfortable to wear after some time (after a few hours). Fun sound.

- Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 Ohm: Over ear closed headphones, mids a little bit recessed, bright treble and strong bass (also strong sub-bass), fun sound.

- Beyerdynamic DT-1350 Facelift Edition: Closed on-ear headphone, neutral sounding, bass can go deep if required by the song. More of an analytical sound.

- Beyerdynamic DT-880 32 Ohm: Semi-open over ear headphone, very comfortable, neutral sound, bass goes deep if required, good soundstage, good allrounder, more analytical sound, is at the upper limit of the budget stated by you.

Hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 43
how about the m50x ? is it something to get or anything better for it price ?
I dont like the M50X. Just no. Built extremely well, looks good, comfortable, but the treble is rather splashy and unrefined, bass is decent, midrange is recessed, and has next to no soundstage. Go with the DT880. Also there's the Sony MDR-MA900 if he likes an absolutely massive soundstage that is only trumped by like... The HD800.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #13 of 43
The DT 880 is available in 3 versions: 32 Ohm, 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm. 250/600 Ohm versions need an amp. The 32 Ohm Version should work without amp. In addition to this there is the DT 880 Pro which is also 250 Ohm and requires an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back