Sep 16, 2017 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Hisster

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm considering:

HD650
HE500
HE400s

I own a HE400i, I like them, but it's not what I'm looking for in this moment. Does any of the three I listed before have better mids than the 400i? I'd never used the word before but maybe "liquid" voices are what I looking for.

Any other suggestions around 350€/$? (If there's a real improvement I could thinking in going higher)
I rather open cans, but I don't mean if they're close.

Thank you!

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 27
It might help to know what sources or DAC/amp the headphones will be plugged into?

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 27
Hello everyone,

I'm considering:

HD650
HE500
HE400s

I own a HE400i, I like them, but it's not what I'm looking for in this moment. Does any of the three I listed before have better mids than the 400i? I'd never used the word before but maybe "liquid" voices are what I looking for.

Any other suggestions around 350€/$? (If there's a real improvement I could thinking in going higher)
I rather open cans, but I don't mean if they're close.

Grado SR225

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 27
HD650 and HE400S are both at the other end of the tonal spectrum from the 400i (they are warmer than the 400i). The mids and vocals are beautiful on both the 400S and the 650, IMO. But it is a different presentation from that of the 400i. If you don't like a warm presentation, you likely won't find the 650 alluring. The 400S is less warm than the 650 but more so than the 400i. FWIW. If you have a higher budget available there are other options out there. Not sure if that is possible for you or not.

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 27
HD600/650 are usually the go-to headphone when someone mentions that they want good mids. I'm sure Hifiman have good options, and perhaps grado

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 27
HD650 and HE400S are both at the other end of the tonal spectrum from the 400i (they are warmer than the 400i). The mids and vocals are beautiful on both the 400S and the 650, IMO. But it is a different presentation from that of the 400i. If you don't like a warm presentation, you likely won't find the 650 alluring. The 400S is less warm than the 650 but more so than the 400i. FWIW. If you have a higher budget available there are other options out there. Not sure if that is possible for you or not.

Thank you! It's very helpful.
Did you ever try the HE-500?

I could have a higher budget, what would you recommend?

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 27
To me the mids from the 400i are amazing at any price point let alone for a headphone under $350. They are my current main headphone in my hi-fi rig and I must say the mids are very up-front and clear. My guess is your source material is not letting the 400i sounds it's best. What tracks do you listen to these days?

In regards to the Gradi SR225 comment I see no reason going beyond the SR60i. The measurements and my experience with Grados all of the way up to the RS1 sound virtually the same. I've had so many quality issues from Grado I cannot steer you far enough away from them.

Perhaps try some closed headphones which may help bring the midrange closer and increase the perceived clarity.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 27
HE-500 mids are great,so def look into them,but they need a decent amp.
Another less costly option is the AKG K240 sextetts.The guitar presentation is more forward slightly than the vocals,but the sextetts have the best mids ive owned,and that includes the HE-500,HE-6 and ZMF Atticus,all of which have great mids too.

Sep 17, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 27
Thank you! It's very helpful.
Did you ever try the HE-500?

I could have a higher budget, what would you recommend?
Have not heard HE500, sorry. You would have to increase your budget quite a bit, but you might want to check out a MrSpeakers AEON and see what you think. It is really awesome in the mids, is well-built, and comes from a highly respected manufacturer. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you potentially. And just FYI--it is a closed headphone.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 27
To me the mids from the 400i are amazing at any price point let alone for a headphone under $350. They are my current main headphone in my hi-fi rig and I must say the mids are very up-front and clear. My guess is your source material is not letting the 400i sounds it's best. What tracks do you listen to these days?

In regards to the Gradi SR225 comment I see no reason going beyond the SR60i. The measurements and my experience with Grados all of the way up to the RS1 sound virtually the same. I've had so many quality issues from Grado I cannot steer you far enough away from them.

Perhaps try some closed headphones which may help bring the midrange closer and increase the perceived clarity.

I don't think the source is the problem, I've using mp3 320, flac, Spotify and Tidal HiFi.
I guess it's matter of taste.

From Grado I've only heard the sr325 so I can't compare.

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 27
HE-500 mids are great,so def look into them,but they need a decent amp.
Another less costly option is the AKG K240 sextetts.The guitar presentation is more forward slightly than the vocals,but the sextetts have the best mids ive owned,and that includes the HE-500,HE-6 and ZMF Atticus,all of which have great mids too.

Thank you!
I wish I can try the sextetts! But it looks hard to find one.

What would you say is a decent amp for the He500?

I didn't know about ZMF Atticus, I'll take a look!

Thank you

Sep 17, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 27
Have not heard HE500, sorry. You would have to increase your budget quite a bit, but you might want to check out a MrSpeakers AEON and see what you think. It is really awesome in the mids, is well-built, and comes from a highly respected manufacturer. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It could work for you potentially. And just FYI--it is a closed headphone.

Aeon looks really good, I'll read more about them.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back