Looking for a headphone and a portable amp
Mar 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

satpak

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Great work in maintaining and contributing to this website. Lots of information. Just wanted to say, thank you!

I'm in the market for a open back headphone since I've been hearing good things about "fully open back" providing the listener a sound stage and hence a better sound experience. I've been owning closed types, like Shure SRH440 and Bose QC15. 

After some research, I came across Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - 250Ohm Model. I chose this because, obviously it is an open back headphone and it's utmost comfort. Heard it has high clamping force but I have a gut feeling that I can get around this issue somehow. It has good reviews everywhere, build quality is good and also is affordable ($185). I want to know if this will be a good choice for me. Please let me know your thoughts on this headphone or suggest something similar. This is going to be used mainly in my home and I listen to a variety of music (just about everything) and podcasts. I may use this headphone with my MacBook Pro (late 2013 Retina model) and iPhone 5S. For now, I'll be using streaming service like Spotify to listen to most of music collection but I intend to have my own audiophile formats or versions of my music in the future. 

Since this headphone (or similar ones out there) needs an amp to be driven, which brings me to the next question, which portable amp is good? My max. price range for this is $200. Unfortunately I can't go more than that however great the product is. I'm thinking of two right now, Creative SoundBlaster E3 ($129) and E5($199). Are the extra dollars worth spending on E5? 

Quick links, jic:

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster?compare=22018
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-990-pro.html

Thanks for taking time to read and hoping to hear back your thoughts/suggestions.

Mar 8, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 41
The FiiO E12 would work great if you just want a headphone amp: http://www.amazon.com/E12-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 41

Thanks for your response, cel4145.

Could you be more specific as to why you would recommend FiiO over Creative E3, both retailing at the same price? 

Specs of FiiO MontBlanc E12 ($129):

Model Name/Number
MONT BLANC-E12

Weight
159 g
Audio Input
3.5 mm stereo jack
Volume Control
ALPS Potentiometer
Drive ability
16~300 Ω (recommend)
Battery Capacity
880 mAh
Output Power
880 mW (32 Ω/THD1%)
THD+N
0.003 (1 kHz)
Frequency Response
20 Hz~20 kHz
Input Sensitivity
4.45 V (GAIN=L)
710 mW (GAIN=H)
Crosstalk
65 dB
Gain
16 dB (GAIN=H)
0 dB (GAIN=L)
Peak Output Voltage
15 Vp-p

Specs of Creative SoundBlaster E3 ($129):
  2. General
  3. SBX Pro StudioYes
  4. Max. Playback QualityUSB 2.0 (PC/Mac):
    Stereo - up to 24-bit / 96kHz
  5. USB Audio Streaming from Mobile DevicesUSB (mobile):
    Stereo - up to 24-bit / 48kHz
  6. Max. Recording Quality24-bit / 48kHz
  7. OutputStereo
  8. Max. Headphone Output600Ω
  9. Battery LifeBluetooth - Up to 8 hours 
    Analog Audio Playback - Up to 17 hours
  10. Key Features
  11. Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR)112dB
  12. Upmixing of Stereo to Multi-channelsYes
  13. Connectivity Options (Main)microUSB 
    Headphone Out:
    1 x 3.5mm jack 
    Headphone Out / Mic In:
    1 x 3.5mm jack 
    Line In: 
    1 x 3.5mm jack (4-pole)
  14. CrystalVoiceYes
  15. Scout ModeYes
  16. Headphone AmpUp to 600 Ohms
  17. Audio FidelityUp to 24-bit / 96kHz
  18. Audio CodecAAC 
    SBC 
    aptX®
  19. Bluetooth®Bluetooth 2.1 EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
  20. Bluetooth MultipointYes
  21. Bluetooth ProfilesA2DP (Wireless stereo Bluetooth
    AVRCP (Bluetooth remote control) 
    HFP (Handsfree Profile)
  22. Operating RangeUp to 10m/33ft
  23. Near Field Communication (NFC)Yes

Mar 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 41
Because I own the E12, many other head-fiers do as well, and it has been repeatedly been shown to be one of the best price/performance values for a headphone amp.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 41
Just my 2 cents, but I don't see a distortion spec anywhere for that Creative SoundBlaster thing.  Further, I went to the Creative website and couldn't find one.  Then I downloaded the manual and it wasn't listed there, either.

Maybe I'm missing it. If someone can point it out, please do so.  Otherwise, I'd be very leery.

Not that I know anything about the FiiO E12, either, but at least they quoted a distortion spec - albeit at 1 kHz (0.003%).  That's a typical way to cheat on distortion values - to quote it at one frequency.  It's pretty easy to show excellent distortion when it's limited to a single frequency - but at least they quoted one.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 41
Do you need all the extra features or do you just need a portable amp? If you need an amp the Cayin C5 or Fiio E12 are better than the E3. Drop from list. E12 is recommended because there really is no competition at the price. I think I paid $110 for mine. Amp section in E3 can not compare.

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 41
Well, I would love the extra features for the same price and if it is an equally well made/well performing Amp 
L3000.gif

I was interested in Creative as it came with extra options like easier iPhone connectivity and Bluetooth, aptx etc. As I'm a noob when it comes to Amps, I wanted to get your guys thoughts as well on both the products as they are priced at the same price ($129).  

I was just checking Amazon for Fiio E12 reviews:     http://www.amazon.com/E12-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/product-reviews/B00B6QXWIY/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

It looks like the latest reviews are coming out bad. (1/5 stars). Thoughts?

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #9 of 41
Have you read the reviews on head-fi? Those two 1 star reviews on Amazon are meaningless to me.

Why are you limiting yourself to a portable amp? Since you said you will use the DT990's primarily at home have you considered a Schiit stack for ~$200 and some good cheapish IEMs for your phone on the go that need no amp? If you must have a one-shot DAC/AMP solution for home and portable use maybe up your budget and look at the Oppo HA-2.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 41
  Have you read the reviews on head-fi? Those two 1 star reviews on Amazon are meaningless to me.

Why are you limiting yourself to a portable amp? Since you said you will use the DT990's primarily at home have you considered a Schiit stack for ~$200 and some good cheapish IEMs for your phone on the go that need no amp? If you must have a one-shot DAC/AMP solution for home and portable use maybe up your budget and look at the Oppo HA-2.

That's weird.  I counted eight 1 star reviews when I looked just now.  One or two of them appeared to be from people who knew what they were talking about, even.

I agree with your asking about the portable amp.  A desktop would be better.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 41

That's weird.  I counted eight 1 star reviews when I looked just now.  One or two of them appeared to be from people who knew what they were talking about, even.

I agree with your asking about the portable amp.  A desktop would be better.

His post said "latest reviews". There are two 1 star reviews in the past 10 months. One was either user error or a DOA. I just don't think that's relevant enough to scare someone away from a solid value and a great first portable amp. I agree there are some worthwhile reviews on Amazon it is difficult for a less experienced head-fier to sort the wheat from the chaff, and there is plenty of that. There is so much great information here on head-fi that the only thing I would find useful from Amazon reviews on a headphone amp is if half of them were showing up DOA close to when I'm buying.  

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 41
IMHO there are only two reasons people write a review on Amazon:

1) They are p!ssed-off because it doesn't work or because they couldn't get it to work or it doesn't work the way they thought it did.

2) They are justifying their purchase by writing a glowing positive review immediately (or no more than a few days) after receiving the product.

I think this makes the entire concept of Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, etc reviews highly biased. The VAST majority of purchasers do not write reviews, and they are probably quite happy. When the average person buys something, and it works as expected, what do they do? They just use it! They go on with their life and we never hear from them.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 41

1) They are p!ssed-off because it doesn't work or because they couldn't get it to work or it doesn't work the way they thought it did.

2) They are justifying their purchase by writing a glowing positive review immediately (or no more than a few days) after receiving the product.

I think this makes the entire concept of Amazon, NewEgg, BestBuy, etc reviews highly biased. The VAST majority of purchasers do not write reviews, and they are probably quite happy. When the average person buys something, and it works as expected, what do they do? They just use it! They go on with their life and we never hear from them.

Well said and I agree. I think more users on head-fi should write reviews, myself included. There are 1 star fools here too. 

What about the Aune B1? Looks interesting but not a ton of feedback on it yet. Feel like taking one for the team satpak? 
biggrin.gif
 It has ALL 5 star reviews on Amazon. Sorry, couldn't resist. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 41

Well said and I agree. I think more users on head-fi should write reviews, myself included. There are 1 star fools here too. 

What about the Aune B1? Looks interesting but not a ton of feedback on it yet. Feel like taking one for the team satpak? 
biggrin.gif

Why in the world?  It's a half-step from Amazon around here already.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 41

biggrin.gif
 It has ALL 5 star reviews on Amazon. Sorry, couldn't resist. 

Sure.

Aune B1 - Date first available at Amazon.com: February 15, 2015.

FiiO E12 - Date first available at Amazon.com: January 27, 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back