Looking for a guide on how to better arrange cables to avoid interference
Sep 10, 2012 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Alec246

100+ Head-Fier
New to this world, I want to get the best from the equipment I got, so I could use a Guide with tips on how Cables should be placed to avoid interference to the signal. I have lots of equipments here on my Desk, my PC with lots of cables going all directions. I read we should keep important Sound Cables 4 feet from others, is that so? If they cross, they should do at a 90 degrees angle, that's the kind of stuff I want to learn how to do right.

I have lots of USB stuff connected to the back of the PC, I guess that's very bad to DAC running thru USB, like the ODAC. IS there something I can do about it?

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 6
I have quite a bit of cords as well. Here are a couple of my techniques for cable management.

1. Buy quality cables with shielding. Not expensive cables, quality cables. (MonoPrice, ferrite cores, etc.

2. Keep power cables and data cables separate.

Bottom line is, most cables made today are of pretty decent quality and when you talk of cable interference, most of that interference occurs over long distances (50+ feet). You won't get any interference running short distances with quality cables. Unless something is clearly wrong and if something is clearly wrong, I'd check the other equipment before the cable.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 6
First, thank you very much for the nice answer!

I'm happy because I did just as you said, I bought some quality cables from Monoprice, great store! Wow, great prices too. They should be arriving here within the next 2 weeks. I have bought cables as soon as possible, as I understand ,the shorter the better for cables.

About keeping Power and Data cables separate, you mean physically? Like, they shouldn't be near each other, or cross each other paths? I will try to do that. I have an external HD that I read isn't good for noise, but it uses a separate power supply, the bad news is that the PSU sits on the desk that is also where my computer is, I think I'm going to have to move that.

Let me ask you another thing that I thought. I have speakers on the desk, is there a problem due to their magnet inside for it to be near cables, or even near the HEadphone Amp and the DAC?

Thank you!

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Many small desktop and monitor speakers are magnetically shielded.  Furthermore, their magnets can't reach all that far.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 6
It's not awful to have power and data cables together but just don't have them all tied up and tangled together. When running long distances, you wouldn't want to run them together in the same conduit but if the cable is just on the floor and a data cable is next to it, I wouldn't worry. It's hard to have problems with short distances.

The magnetic field inside the speaker won't cause any problems with cables or other equipment. Most speakers are magnetically shielded meaning the cabinet helps dampen the magnetic field. This was originally because old CRT screens are very sensitive to magnets so with computer speakers and TV speakers always being close to CRT screens, they decided to shield the speaker. Even if the speaker isn't magnetically shielded, the magnet inside isn't large enough where the magnetic field outside of the speaker cabinet would cause problems. (Different story for larger speakers and subwoofers with gigantic 35lb magnets in them but good thing we don't have to worry about that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back