Looking for a great sounding mini DAP......
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

claud W

Headphoneus Supremus
HiBy R3 sized . I have two R3 Sabers. One for home and one for my beach place. I have always liked the R3, but lately wondered what I was missing. For me, this the right size for a very portable DAP. Is there a better sounding one?

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Have you looked into Cowon?
Thank you for the lead. The Cowons all appear to be at least twice as big and much more expensive, without some more advanced features ( OTA upgrade, no Tidal etc.) Is there anyone in particular?

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for the lead. The Cowons all appear to be at least twice as big and much more expensive, without some more advanced features ( OTA upgrade, no Tidal etc.) Is there anyone in particular?
I was thinking of the D3. But as you say it’s much less advanced on the software side and on features. And more expensive. It’s a difficult quest you’re on, as the only interesting options for now are larger (R5, perhaps the upcoming Shanling M3X...). Good luck with your search, I myself am looking for a small Android DAP and not finding the right balance of features.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 9
I was thinking of the D3. But as you say it’s much less advanced on the software side and on features. And more expensive. It’s a difficult quest you’re on, as the only interesting options for now are larger (R5, perhaps the upcoming Shanling M3X...). Good luck with your search, I myself am looking for a small Android DAP and not finding the right balance of features.
That's about the right size, but no WiFi to begin with, so no OTA updates and no music services like Tidal. There are 3 different models of the HiBy R3, and they are all around $200. R3, R3 Pro, and R3 Pro Saber.
I was just trying to see if I had made a mistake in buying my second R3 Saber Pro. Got it from MusicTeck. Great service from Andrew as usual.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 9
HiBy R3 sized . I have two R3 Sabers. One for home and one for my beach place. I have always liked the R3, but lately wondered what I was missing. For me, this the right size for a very portable DAP. Is there a better sounding one?
I have the R3 Pro Saber and feel it still has a place amongst my higher end stuff. I think it is hard to beat at its price point for great sound, features, and portability.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Look no further, the R3 Pro is excellent.

I have a Sony ZX507 now but wish I'd still kept my R3Pro too. Keep thinking of re-purchasing.

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Look no further, the R3 Pro is excellent.

I have a Sony ZX507 now but wish I'd still kept my R3Pro too. Keep thinking of re-purchasing.
If you exercise, even a walk, you really appreciate the size and weight of the R3s. I have Ibasso DX 220, Hiby R6 Pro and new R6, A & K SE 200 and Sony ZX 300. None of them are light as nor smaller than twice the size of the R3s.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 9
IMHO the A&K Activo CT10 is a good DAP for the money. Got mine for 175 Euros at Amazon. It's Ok for outdoor usage (beach, jogging) but cannot live up to the premium A&K DAPs sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back