Looking for a great set of cans for around $150 (US) Bass heads need apply...
Jun 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DemonFox

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello my fellow maniacs, this is my first thread here and I wanted some advice from the masses so if you have an option please lets here it!! 

So here is the scenario and what I'm looking for... 

I'm an avid Dub head and bass junky going back to the days of my booming car system where I had an MTX 81000d and two 12in Polk MoMo's pushing out all kinds of crazy noise!! Yes there was more to it but that's not what we are here for today now is it!!

What I have and what I'm looking for... 

Right now I have a bunch of different options some of which are on their way out but here is the list of some of my headphone inventory.

Grado SR80i - Love how natural they are but lack big time in the bass category - (Sold)

Koss PortaPro - One of my favorite set of phones and probably the best sounding headphones for under $150 I have ever heard!!

Ultrasone Fifi 780's - These things are the equivalent to the Tuxedo shirt. You clearly see that they are formal but definitely ready to party and rock out like nobodies business!! They hit so hard but not at the cost of the overall sound unlike my next pair on the list.. 

Sony XB500- Ugh yes I own them I know you don't have to say it... These things are the guy that shows up to the party with his pants off and you already know where this is going to end. Someone is going to get hurt!! These things will rattle you medulla 

B&W P5 - Ok, so I kinda fell for the hype of these and almost fell for it again with the Focal Sprite One's but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice... Well you get it.... (About to be sold) Truth be told they sound pretty darn good so don't knock until you try.. Only real issue is the price IMO

Denon D1100 - Not bad at all, nice balance not to much of anything really and a great set of entry level cans - Looking to sell soon

Klipsch Image One - Not bad... Not bad at all!! Actually I like them a lot more than the noise canceling M40's that came out later. A lot more.. 

Ultimate Ears 350vi - kick ***** ear buds once you find the right size cushion to fit your ears and these HIT HARD!!! I may be picking a pair of the new Velodyne vPulse head crushers soon fingers crossed!!

For gaming I have the Steel Series Siberia V2 and Astro a30 (Very surprised at how functional these headphones are. They really can be serviceable for everything from gaming to every day listening and they look amazing!! Kudos Astro.. 

So that's what I'm working with right now and I would be willing to sell all of them for the right pair (Except ProtaPro's.. $40 bucks and lifetime warranty... Forgetaboutit) of cans but for now I'm mainly thinking about a great set that will give me what I don't have right now. I know that its not going to be easy but It's worth a shot right!?!?! Oh and side note I also have a FiiO E11 so if what you are suggesting needs more power than my iPhone or iPad I got that covered... Will be upgrading/adding a DAC soon too

Sooooo What I've been looking into so far are the Shure 840's the M50's and the Fostex T50's just to name a few but I am definitely open to suggestions so please fire away!! Senn are kind of out of the question though since they have about as much bass as a ham sandwich hitting the floor so no thanks... 

Thank you all for your help and lets see some uniqueness here not the same old same old you know. 

Can't wait to hear for you all thank you in advance!! 
basshead.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, for portability, warranty, looks, sound, great bass and price.... Try Numark's Red Wave. They have just the right amount of bass, without bleeding into the mids, and they are actually very comfortable. Also, they don't really need an amp. They are very portable, they swivel and collapse into the size of about a little bigger than a softball. However, they are "DJ" style headphones. And they arent 200 bucks. They have an MSRP of $199.99 (December 2011) Advertised at $99.99. Price on Amazon, $71.33. In my opinion, a bass heads dream. They sound great, and each pair comes with Numark's 1 year warranty. And if the style puts a bad taste in your mouth, Numark has a new headphone coming out at the end of this month called the Electrowave, and it will be priced at $149.99. They are white, they don't swivel, they fold. However, they have the same exact drivers and everything internal, so it would just be style preference at this point. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is mine. Hope this helped in any way.

P.S. This review is coming from a bass head.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
Well, for portability, warranty, looks, sound, great bass and price.... Try Numark's Red Wave. They have just the right amount of bass, without bleeding into the mids, and they are actually very comfortable. Also, they don't really need an amp. They are very portable, they swivel and collapse into the size of about a little bigger than a softball. However, they are "DJ" style headphones. And they arent 200 bucks. They have an MSRP of $199.99 (December 2011) Advertised at $99.99. Price on Amazon, $71.33. In my opinion, a bass heads dream. They sound great, and each pair comes with Numark's 1 year warranty. And if the style puts a bad taste in your mouth, Numark has a new headphone coming out at the end of this month called the Electrowave, and it will be priced at $149.99. They are white, they don't swivel, they fold. However, they have the same exact drivers and everything internal, so it would just be style preference at this point. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is mine. Hope this helped in any way.

P.S. This review is coming from a bass head.

You know what, I've been thinking about those because of the price and and what I've read about them but I haven't talked to anyone that has actually heard them so thank you for that and yes it does help!! Plus you gave me something out of the box so that was exactly what I was looking for thanks!! I'm gonna look them up right now and do some more research. The look isn't that great but not sure I would want to spend the extra scratch for the same speaker just didnt looks.... I say that until I see the new ones huh... 

Thanks again

basshead.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
Well a Denon D7000 or one of the Ultrasone Editions would give you a hi-fi sound coupled with great bass. Pair with a nice desktop amp and DAC.

Is there really that much of a difference between the D7000 and the D2000 which everyone seems to love?? I'm assuming that the d2000 will still sound good coming from just a iPhone and the D7000 has to have the extras to make it kick like its supposed to. Now I've also heard that after you leave the entry level they lose their portability is that true in your opinion?? 

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 19
No problem. I'd be happy to answer any more questions about the Red Waves if your'e really interested. Owned a pair for the past 6 months. Listened to them from a soundboard where I work, all the way to just general home usage, these have been one of my favorite headphones of all time. They are just so versatile in so many ways. Definitely worth checking out.

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 19
I looked up both and they do get great reviews for exactly what you were saying versatility and sound quality which are huge obviously. Now I did see that you are correct in the guts of the Electrowave but it looks like they actually gave it a little better freq response, and made them just a touch louder so what are your general thoughts there seeing that you use the Red Wave's now? They are basically saying the new ones can go a tad lower and will be a tad louder. Not by a large margin but it is what it is. Do you think its worth waiting on or not going to be that noticeable?? 15hz - 20khz is still impressive when you're talking $79 you know...

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 19
Heya,

At your budget, the M-Audio Q40 for a dub-head is what I would put you on.

Very best,

Excellent!! I love new suggestions!! I've never even heard of those or seen then before, what can you tell me about them?? I like the detachable cables but outside of that I got nothing!! What is it about them you seem to like?? What are some of their best features??

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
Is there really that much of a difference between the D7000 and the D2000 which everyone seems to love?? I'm assuming that the d2000 will still sound good coming from just a iPhone and the D7000 has to have the extras to make it kick like its supposed to. Now I've also heard that after you leave the entry level they lose their portability is that true in your opinion?? 

Similar sound signature but the D7000 is a huge improvement, in fact I stayed away from the D7000 until recently because of my D2/5k dislike. The D2000 sound like a JVC RX700 with bass boost, rather low-SQ for their high asking price. I wouldn't consider the range portable although they are really easy to drive, large phones with a 6.3mm jack. I don't consider any full size headphone portable because they generally sound better on desktop equipment. For on the go I use Yuin PK3 earbuds which offer a simlar sound to the Sennhesier HD600s and that's directly from my Zune.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Excellent!! I love new suggestions!! I've never even heard of those or seen then before, what can you tell me about them?? I like the detachable cables but outside of that I got nothing!! What is it about them you seem to like?? What are some of their best features??

I linked a review for a reason.

Very best,

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 19
My thoughts about waiting are if you like the way the Red Waves look, and you like the versatility, go with them. The bass goes so low, Iv'e tested it myself. It goes down to what is probably past what the human ear can perceive. And when we are talking price, it's simple, $72 is a lot lot less than $150, I'm just saying. They are both great headphones, IMO. And the Red Waves sound great for types of music other than just Electronic or Dubstep (i.e. Acoustic, Rock, Hip Hop, even Classical) If you like the headphones, I say jump on it and snag yourself a pair off of Amazon. I can certainly say you will NOT regret it. 

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Similar sound signature but the D7000 is a huge improvement, in fact I stayed away from the D7000 until recently because of my D2/5k dislike. The D2000 sound like a JVC RX700 with bass boost, rather low-SQ for their high asking price. I wouldn't consider the range portable although they are really easy to drive, large phones with a 6.3mm jack. I don't consider any full size headphone portable because they generally sound better on desktop equipment. For on the go I use Yuin PK3 earbuds which offer a simlar sound to the Sennhesier HD600s and that's directly from my Zune.

Wow, good to know thanks!! One day hopefully in the near future I'm going to start investing in more HIFi equipment and have a better setup to be able to handle some thing like the D7000 or the LCD-3's But for now I'll have to work with what I have. Can't wait until that day arrives though!! I recently hooked my D1100 into my e11 and my goodness did those bad boys come alive!! I had only been using my iPhone to power them and always felt like it was missing something and I'm happy to say I found it. That being said I can only imagine how amazing and next level the d7000 sound and when the time comes I know first hand. 

Thanks again 

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I linked a review for a reason.

Very best,

My bad, didn't notice but I'm checking it out as we speak, thanks again for the recommendation and I am very intrigued... More to come later...

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
Wow, good to know thanks!! One day hopefully in the near future I'm going to start investing in more HIFi equipment and have a better setup to be able to handle some thing like the D7000 or the LCD-3's But for now I'll have to work with what I have. Can't wait until that day arrives though!! I recently hooked my D1100 into my e11 and my goodness did those bad boys come alive!! I had only been using my iPhone to power them and always felt like it was missing something and I'm happy to say I found it. That being said I can only imagine how amazing and next level the d7000 sound and when the time comes I know first hand. 

Thanks again 

The D7000 is colored so it doesn't really benefit from quality amps and DACs... in fact I hear little difference going from a $100 Zero DAC to an $800 DLIII. Now if you go with something more transparent and neutral the differences are obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back