Looking for a great hybrid IEM ~$300
May 17, 2019 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

starfly

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have a JH13Pro, which is a 6 driver BA setup. Great CIEM, still love it. This week I picked up the Sennheiser IE 40 Pro, a $100 dynamic driver monitor IEM. Also love it, sounds quite a bit different than the JH13, so fun to swap between these two.

Now I want to add a hybrid IEM to the mix that's not too expensive. Since there are so many out there, I have no idea where to start.

The sound signature I generally like is somewhat neutralish to U shaped, with a bit more on the low end than the high end (and I have mild tinnitus so can't hear the high end as well as I should anyway). Besides this, I like having a clear midrange.

My favorite overall headphone is the Sony MDR-7520, which is geared towards professional monitoring. That headphone has amazing clarity, just incredible (and I tested many over-ear headphones before I landed on the Sony).

I'm hoping to find something similar in a hybrid IEM. So neutral to U shaped, more on the low-end (sub-bass, not necessarily mid-bass) than on the high-end (so you could also say neutral with emphasized low-end), with a very clear mid-range (don't like it too veiled).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 8
May 20, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks everyone, I went ahead and ordered the Fiio FH5. From what I've read it looks like that might come closest to what I'm looking for, and the price is very attractive too :) Hopefully I like them.

May 20, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 8
The new Oriveti OH300 is really impressive for it's price.
Just in case I don't end up liking the W shaped sound signature of the Fiio, how would you describe the OH300? U shaped? Flat? Flat with bass boost? And what about the clarity?

I'm also thinking that if the Fiio doesn't work out, I should probably stretch my budget up to $500, which opens up a whole bunch of other IEMs, such as IT04, the OH500 (which I just started reading about), FH7 (just new though so we don't know yet how good it truly is), and a bunch of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back