Looking for a Grado-Like, Sub-$150 IEM
Dec 10, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

M0T0XGUY

Headphoneus Supremus
This past week has proven deadly to my ER-6is. The right driver's been dipping in and out of operation for around a month now, but a distinct sort of "pop" yesterday seems to have rendered it completely nonfunctional. I'd consider getting the IEMs repaired, but to be honest I'm not 100% satisfied with their sound or build quality. Thus I come here seeking an alternative.

In terms of sound, I'm most enamored with midrange; and in terms of genre I'm most interested in rock. That explains my fascination with Grados and their aggressive, forward-sounding, tight nature. I'm essentially looking for a set of IEMs that capture the midrange-centric personality of my RS-1s and even, perhaps, expand upon it. Otherwise, I only have two other requirements: a sub $150 price tag, and solid build quality.

Do the good folks at Head-Fi have any recommendations?

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 6
After doing a bit of searching, I ended up choosing to go with the Monster Turbine. A few members claim the Turbine have the same sound signature as Grado. I also had a set budget and luckily a pair went on the FS forum. I'll be getting them soon, hopefully they do somewhat sound the same as the Grado sound, I can't get enough of my SR325i's.

*added*

Or even consider the Grado iGi's for $89.

Dec 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Klipsch S4 might also fit your bill. I have owned (and sold) both IEM's. I liked the mids and highs of the S4 better than the MTB. But the MTB has the least intrusive but impactfull bass out of the IEM's have owned. It was there when requested but otherwise never colors the rest of the spectrum.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm one of the Turbine owners that believes they have a very Grado-like sound character, especially with electric guitars and acoustic recordings. I recommend the Turbines very highly, but not everyone has had the same experience with them. It's possible my ear shape maps well to the Turbines' signature, but to me these are really really good IEMs, especially for the price.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobber65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's possible my ear shape maps well to the Turbines' signature, but to me these are really really good IEMs, especially for the price.

This. I think my lack of a good fit made me detest these phones.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd say Phonak Audeo PFE with grey filters. Very clear mids with Grado-ey highs. The new revision is or will be out soon so hopefully build quality issues are no longer lingering with them (although my old PFE is still trucking along fine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back