Looking for a good WACOM tablet
Mar 22, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wong
Definitely go with nothing less than an Intuos. The pressure sensitivity is worth it alone. 6x8 is a nice size - it doesn't take up terribly much desk real estate like the larger sizes, and the natural arc of your wrist will translate pretty well with the 6x8 proportion to your monitor. I've been tempted to spring for the Cintiq, but would prefer to experiment with one for an extended period before committing that much dough on a tablet.

The current Cintiq 21ux is the only one that is worth it, since it is the first and only one to have the Intuos 3 tablet sensor in it.

That and the LCD itself is gorgeous.

But there is that pretty spendy pricetag...

-Ed

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #17 of 19
I agree you should look at 6x8 minimum for serious work. I have a 6x8 Intuos 2 and a 6x8 Graphire Bluetooth. I love both. The Graphire travels with my 12" PowerBook. It's built really well and actually performs pretty well, even when driving my 20" widescreen LCD, although that's about the limit to me. Any higher resolution than 1680x1050 (or 1600x1200 for you 4:3 users) and you really run into the resolution limits of the Graphire. The Intuos tracks smoother at higher resolutions. I notice that more than the pressure sensitivity actually. The Intuos pen is also superior. It's more comfortable and the nib and eraser have a more natural feel.

The Intuos mice do not cut it as real mice in my opinion (mouse mode, relative positioning). They're really for precision work. CAD, precise point manipulation in Illustrator, that sort of thing, with absolute positioning. I find the stylus to be better for casual mousing. Easier on my wrist too.

I'd say get the widescreen tablet if you can afford it. Less wasted space. Still, the resolution of the standard 6x8 Intuos 3 is high enough that even running it in a proportional "letterboxed" mode, it would be more than precise enough. But it's the principal that counts!

If you want the precision of an Intuos 3 (and it is precise!), get the 6x11 model. It's an amazing artistic tool and will pair well with your widescreen laptop. Just don't force it into an overstuffed bag since the case is a little fragile. If durability is more important to you and your laptop supports Bluetooth, get the Grapire Bluetooth 6x8. It's quite rugged and a good travel companion.

Stay away from the standard Graphires for on the go use. The USB cable is garbage. My friend went through two Graphires with cables that went bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back