Looking for a good versatile over ear headphone for $200 - $300 (approx £200)......any suggestions?
Jan 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Jamesdcat

New Head-Fier
Evening all

As per the title suggests, I need a little help

I am looking for a set of headphones with a flexible budget of around £200 GBP. I will mainly use them for home listening from an iphone or laptop playing high quality mp3s (256/320kps) with some VBR involved. (no amplifier)

I have auditioned a few sets so far and have been left feeling disappointed with them all. Heres the list...

Sony XB800
Denon AH D600
Sennheiser Momentums over ear
Dre Beats studio mkii
AKG K550
B&W P50
Kef 500
Technics DH1200E

I am huge fan of music and listen to various genres including rock, acoustic, Jazz, hip hop & electronic. I love great sounding deep bass but don't appreciate it drowning everything out (the case with the xb800s)

Sets that I've heard lots about but yet to try include

Sennheiser HD 598
Sony pulse wireless
custom one pros
v-moda m100
Monster DNA
Focal spirit one
Audio technica ATH M50s

So I hope people may be able to steer me in a new direction?? 

Am I better off looking at a mid range sennheiser with a decent portable amp?

Or is there a good "plug n play" hidden gem that I may have missed along the way?  

I also wanted to thank everyone who contributes to these forums as it makes fascinating reading and proves very helpful for the likes of myself. Thanks!

JC

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks shiny! I'll have a look at them and hopefully find somewhere to audition.

Anyone else have any good suggestions?

I will add that I am not that bothered about noise cancelling or closed back design as these will be used mainly at home. Not a big fan of having to keep buying batteries for them either....

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back