Looking for a good usb dac for use with PC
Sep 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 11
so after doing some shopping around this seems to fit my needs.

http://schiit.com/products/modi

I see it goes with the 'magni' which is the amp section, I'm guessing I don't need this since I was gonna go PC > modi > my sansui AU8500 AMP and I can just control volume on the pc or amp.

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Im new to the headphones been a magnepan, Parasound full system. However, just bought 1st pair of headphones - Sen HD800's. Being close friends with a dealer I am able to get numerous amps for large systems. As a NAD fan I found their new small desktop computer music with HD amp and DAC to be a possible amp for my cans. My cost for either is $300 + shipping. If you go to their site under Hi-Fi Stereo>Digital Music, these can be found. The two Im looking at are:

NAD's D 3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier 

1. 2 x 30W @ 0.00% THD, >100W Dynamic Power @ 4 Ohms
  2. aptX Bluetooth Music Streaming
  3. 24/96 Asynchronous USB input (type B)
  4. Optical and Coaxial Digital Inputs, analog inputs
  5. Subwoofer Output
  6. Bass EQ setting
  7. Separate Headphone Amplifier
  8. Wireless Remote

and/or

NAD's D 1050 USB 24/192 DAC

1. Asynchronous 24/192 USB input
  2. 2 x Optical, 2 x Coaxial SPDIF Inputs
  3. Balanced XLR and Single Ended Outputs
  4. Discrete High Performance Headphone Amplifier
  5. Remote Power Supply

FYI: for those who enjoy NAD, I am able to get discounts on NAD products.

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 11
I found your other thread here because I was looking at your profile to send you a PM.

I have the ODAC which is considered equivalent in class to the Modi. They really do sound amazing, don't they? :D

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Yeah I really think it outputs a much cleaner sound than the onboard intel/realtek hd audio I had been using for years.

Was even plug and play on FreeBSD which was nice.

Oh, know. Your one of these:

Just making fun. I don't run Linux on the desktop because I have to use MS and Adobe products in my work. But I do run a RedHat web server, and I'm biased toward Android over iOS because it's Linux at it's core originally :)

I previously owned a Xonar STX sound card, and I think the ODAC was even a little cleaner than that. I have a good headphone amp, and when there's silence in some recordings, it's black. Dead quiet. Really nice, in addition to the excellent clarity.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 11
Oh, know. Your one of these:

Just making fun. I don't run Linux on the desktop because I have to use MS and Adobe products in my work. But I do run a RedHat web server, and I'm biased toward Android over iOS because it's Linux at it's core originally
smily_headphones1.gif

I previously owned a Xonar STX sound card, and I think the ODAC was even a little cleaner than that. I have a good headphone amp, and when there's silence in some recordings, it's black. Dead quiet. Really nice, in addition to the excellent clarity.

That is linux, FreeBSD is unix based. MAC os x is basically BSD with a shiny interface patents and overpriced hardware.

this devil cartoon is the old logo they have since changed it to something less "evil" I guess lol..... He has a name I just can't remember it. I actually stopped using linux about 4-5 months ago and I am liking FreeBSD ALOT better.

http://www.freebsd.org/logo.html

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 11
That is linux, FreeBSD is unix based. MAC os x is basically BSD with a shiny interface patents and overpriced hardware.

this devil cartoon is the old logo they have since changed it to something less "evil" I guess lol..... He has a name I just can't remember it. I actually stopped using linux about 4-5 months ago and I am liking FreeBSD ALOT better.

http://www.freebsd.org/logo.html

DOAH!!!

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 11
lol it's no big deal most people think FreeBSD is a linux distro.

I use windows on my main desktop also because i'm a hardcore gamer and that means windows unfortunately I hate windows lol

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 11
lol it's no big deal most people think FreeBSD is a linux distro.

I use windows on my main desktop also because i'm a hardcore gamer and that means windows unfortunately I hate windows lol

I know better. I even know what the BSD license is and how it differs from the GPL. I was just reading too fast and posting too quick without thinking. LOL

Still open source. All good :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back