Looking for a good USB A to mini-B cable (3 feet or so)
Feb 12, 2005 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cmling

New Head-Fier
The title says it all. I am considering buying a headphone amp that will (occasionally) be connected to my computer's USB 2.0 port, and the one offered by the manufacturer is too short for me (1 foot). I have seen lots of cheap stuff on the Net, but I assume they have a negative influence on the sound, right?

Thanks for your help!
Charley

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 8
Hmm...USB is digital; I'm not sure there's really any "degradation" over smallish runs.

What amp are you thinking of? The quality of the DAC (digital analog converter), which I assume is built in to your amp, is more important than the USB cable.

Otherwise, I've seen reasonably-priced USB cables at Rat Shack; by contrast, there's a much bigger mark up on the same stuff at Circuit City and the like.

On line http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_cables.html has some good prices.

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Ah, of course! USB being digital does make a difference, I realize.
What I am thinking of buying is a Total Bithead by HeadRoom.

Thanks for the information!

Charley

Feb 13, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmling
Very comforting to know that any old cable will do!

Charley

I wouldn't say that any cable will do. You want to make sure it's a good-quality, well-made cable with good shielding.

I remember back in the SCSI days, I found a huge range of cable quality, with many of the cables being totally worthless, due to poor shielding. Data corruption, computer lock-ups, etc were common symptoms, all traced back to the SCSI cables. I ended up having to spend quite a bit of money for well-made, properly-shielded cables, but it was worth it in the end.

Today, it's Firewire and USB, but cable quality issues haven't changed. I bought one of those retractable FW cables a couple of years ago, and I can't use it for anything except charging my iPod. It's got a shielding problem that causes all sorts of computer problems when I try using it.

Feb 13, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 8
It is always a pleasure to see that there are so many helpful people on the Net! I think I have enough information now to make an informed decision.

Charley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back