Looking for a good U-shaped headphone
Mar 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MisterMudd

1000+ Head-Fier
OK Head-Fier's. Now is the time to brag about, or suggest, a good open or closed back headphone with a U-shaped sound signature. If possible, $350 or less. My top 2 headphones owned are the HiFiMan Deva and the Philips Fidelio X2/27 (OG - 2014 version). Looking for warmth, body and richness, just not Audeze prices. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 4
DT990
SRH 1540
X2HR/27

These are all pretty good sounding and well made V/U-shaped headphones. I find the DT990 too bright and strange sounding with more than a few tracks due to the lack of full midrange. The 1540 is such a well made headphone, but in the end the bass can be a bit bloated.

I also own the X2/27 and cannot recommend this headphone enough! Well made, good looks, comfortable for hours, and well balanced sound. I use it with all of my hi-fi tracks and don't find any glaring flaws. Best of all it scales really well with better gear so you can get a few years of upgrades out of it.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 4
DT990
SRH 1540
X2HR/27

These are both pretty good sounding and well made V/U-shaped headphones. I find the DT990 too bright and strange sounding with more than a few tracks due to the lack of full midrange. The 1540 is such a well made headphone, but in the end the bass can be a bit bloated.

I also own the X2/27 and cannot recommend this headphone enough! Well made, good looks, comfortable for hours, and well balanced sound. I use it with all of my hi-fi tracks and don't find any glaring flaws. Best of all it scales really well with better gear so you can get a few years of upgrades out of it.
I've listened to the DT990 and it's out due to V-shape signature with too much treble. I have considered the 1540 and may give it a listen soon. My original X2 is much to my liking so, the X2HR is also out. Likely only a side grade with minimal differences. Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back