Looking for A good sound card
Sep 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aleric

New Head-Fier
Im looking for A sound card that will do well with my sennheiser 558 headphones. I have a budget from 100-200$. Im not biased on companies just looking for the best of the best.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 16
The Asus Xonar DG ($30) and DGX ($41) can decently drive the HD558s (50-Ohm).
Half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone surround sound.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 16
I game a lot as well as listen to music with my pc 60% gaming 40% media id say is the ratio in which I use my pc I mean right now im using onboard audio on my crosshair V formula which is pretty good just trying to get the most out of my headset for gaming

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
I game a lot as well as listen to music with my pc 60% gaming 40% media id say is the ratio in which I use my pc I mean right now im using onboard audio on my crosshair V formula which is pretty good just trying to get the most out of my headset for gaming

A Creative Recon3D might be a good choice if your really into FPS gaming.

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 16
I play a lot of different games rpg racing fps platformer dungeon crawler's etc but audio would only really matter in fps's and racing games atleast from I've experianced

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
A Creative Recon3D might be a good choice if your really into FPS gaming.

Recon3D? No way, X-Fi's the way to go when it comes to Creative cards. Especially if they're anything like the Recon3D USB, and many accounts definitely suggest that the PCI-Express Recon3D cards are missing features by comparison to their predecessors. The same will likely be the case with those upcoming Z-series cards, also based on Sound Core3D.

Fortunately, there are still the $45 X-Fi Titanium cards at the usual place, and $120 used X-Fi Titanium HDs on Amazon if he wants a higher-end card.

Sep 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 16
Yep, if both music listening AND gaming are your main interests and you don't mind burning some cash on good audio, go for the titanium HD.
The card has a very good DAC and in fact a very well done analog part in general.
It also allows all the fancy 3D gaming effects to be played through the RCA jacks (unlike the xonars), so you can upgrade to an amplifier should you ever wish to do so in the future.

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Would getting A soundcard with a built in amp make much of a difference compaired to using the titanium hd with my headset?

The Titanium HD not not come with a headphone amplifier, but can easily drive 50-Ohm headphones.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 16
Just ordered the AKG K701 and will be getting the Asus Xonar Essence STX to drive it without having to get extra intermediary equipment that has to sit outside my pc tower.  Did some asking around and apparently the STX amp and the amp used in the FIIOS E9K are the same, meaning you are definitely gonna have a good deal of drive with the simplicity of the STX sound card :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back