Looking for a good portable in the $100-$200 range
Jan 4, 2014 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Aristotle

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster here… and I need some help (as obviously evidenced by the title).

Anyway, I'm looking for a portable headphone (On Ear or Over Ear) in the $100-$200 range. I have limited experience with headphones in the past, but I will tell you what I have. Anyway, in the past, the only notable headphones I have owned were the Klipsch s4i, V-Moda M80, Beats Studio (I bought them not knowing anything about headphones), Beats Mixr (They're actually a family members, but I have listened to them to test them out), and Shure se215. From experience, I found the V-Moda M80 and Beats Mixr to be very uncomfortable (although the Beats were marginally more comfortable). I don't know if it was because they were on-ear or what… but they both game me pretty bad headaches. The Beats Studios were very comfortable to me.

Continuing, I'm not super sure what I want. I've been looking at the Sennheiser Amperiors, Momentum on-ears, and Logitech UE6000, although my search isn't limited to these at all. Music-wise, I almost exclusively listen to Rock-ish Genres (The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Tame Impala, Bob Dylan, The Killers, The Who, etc.) and a TINY bit of Dubstep/Hardstyle. I'm not sure what would be best for my musical choices, and all help is appreciated. Also, I prefer to spend closer to $100, but I COULD go up to $200ish if there was a significant difference in spending the extra cash

If I was vague on anything or if anyone needs some extra info, I'd be glad to clarify.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 18
Hi,

You should consider SoundMagic HP100.

Best Luck!

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 18
Amperiors are good sounding a well built (HD25 design). Comfort isn't great but gets better after a while.
You might want to consider saving some cash and getting the HD25 though depending on how much more the amperiors are where you live.

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 18
  Amperiors are good sounding a well built (HD25 design). Comfort isn't great but gets better after a while.
You might want to consider saving some cash and getting the HD25 though depending on how much more the amperiors are where you live.

I'm in the US.

I can find the amperiors for $140, which is cheaper than any HD25s I've seen.

In regards to comfort, any idea on how they would compare to V-Moda M80s? Comfort is a HUGE factor for me.

And does anyone have a recommendation for good portable OVER-EAR headphones? In general, they've been more comfortable to me.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 18
  I'm in the US.

I can find the amperiors for $140, which is cheaper than any HD25s I've seen.

In regards to comfort, any idea on how they would compare to V-Moda M80s? Comfort is a HUGE factor for me.

And does anyone have a recommendation for good portable OVER-EAR headphones? In general, they've been more comfortable to me.

Amperiors are generally considered to sound better than HD25s. I can't compare to much to be honest. I find they're fine for about an hour then i feel the pressure, but if you have a smaller head (i have no idea if mine is average size or not) i'm sure they'll be fine.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 18
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster here… and I need some help (as obviously evidenced by the title).

Anyway, I'm looking for a portable headphone (On Ear or Over Ear) in the $100-$200 range. I have limited experience with headphones in the past, but I will tell you what I have. Anyway, in the past, the only notable headphones I have owned were the Klipsch s4i, V-Moda M80, Beats Studio (I bought them not knowing anything about headphones), Beats Mixr (They're actually a family members, but I have listened to them to test them out), and Shure se215. From experience, I found the V-Moda M80 and Beats Mixr to be very uncomfortable (although the Beats were marginally more comfortable). I don't know if it was because they were on-ear or what… but they both game me pretty bad headaches. The Beats Studios were very comfortable to me.

Continuing, I'm not super sure what I want. I've been looking at the Sennheiser Amperiors, Momentum on-ears, and Logitech UE6000, although my search isn't limited to these at all. Music-wise, I almost exclusively listen to Rock-ish Genres (The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Tame Impala, Bob Dylan, The Killers, The Who, etc.) and a TINY bit of Dubstep/Hardstyle. I'm not sure what would be best for my musical choices, and all help is appreciated. Also, I prefer to spend closer to $100, but I COULD go up to $200ish if there was a significant difference in spending the extra cash

If I was vague on anything or if anyone needs some extra info, I'd be glad to clarify.

how was the sq for the beats studio?
are they worth $120?

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 18

Hi,

how was the sq for the beats studio?
are they worth $120?

I got them for $150 and would not recommend them at all. The collapsing hinges wore out easy… and sounded very muddy in general.

When I offloaded them to a friend for $125, I was very happy to have them off my hands.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 18
sennheisers in general should not cause headaches as they are neutral and they look comfy..and some of them look sexy.

Since beats was comfortable for you,bass perhaps is not the issue,but the sensation of having something over your head.

IEMs?

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 18
sennheisers in general should not cause headaches as they are neutral and they look comfy..and some of them look sexy.

Since beats was comfortable for you,bass perhaps is not the issue,but the sensation of having something over your head.

IEMs?

The issue was that they weren't comfortable.

I've worn many headphones that were comfortable, but these were not. I have never tried a sennheiser, so I wouldn't know if they were comfortable or not by looking at them. Just because they are "neutral", "look comfy", "look sexy" doesn't make them comfortable.

I am looking for an on-ear/over-ear headphone, not IEMs.

Does anyone know how comfort of the sennheiser Momentum on-ears would compare to the Hd25/amperiors/aluminums?

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 18
I'm looking for more of a portable headphone. The non-detachable coiled cable really isn't going to work. And why should I pick these? You can't just say a name and expect me to be sold.
Again, why should I pick these?

1. These headphones easy to drive from a portable device.
2. These headphones are comparable to size with some you listed.
3. The cable is detachable.
4. Don't be rude on the forum like that. I may not have the time to write you a detailed mini review. There is a wealth of information out there already about that. It would be more helpful on your part to appreciate a quick suggestion rather than criticise me for not going in depth enough. I might have a busy schedule, you don't know.

Jan 5, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 18
  Hi,

You should consider SoundMagic HP100.

Best Luck!

You can read about them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/soundmagic-hp100-premium-over-the-ear-folding-headphones-black

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back