Looking for a good pair of sealed-back headphone
Oct 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Phantom-Horseman

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,I need a little help picking a good pair of sealed headphone.My price point is no more then 400$They will be plug into my PC using its integrated sound card on til I buy a amp+DAC.I listen to rock,metal,and little bit of blues.any suggestion.

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepherX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What genres do you like most?

Sennheisers have a great selection, along with ultrasone for closed headphones.

Rock and metal.

I have been looking around ultrasone website and I have a question or two,what is the difference between the pro and the HIF and second question is S-Logic Natural Surround Sound same as Dolby Surround

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 14
Ok,I still need a little bit of help.I've been looking at these headphones.

AKG K 271 MK II

Ultrasone PROline 650 or PROline 750 (Is there a differences between a pro and a proline.I read some reviews and they ether say pro or proline.)

Audio-Technica ATH-A700 or Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9A

The GMP 8.35 D Monitor

Will any of these headphones go will with rock,metal,blues,and acoustic instruments and if not. I'm still looking for suggestion

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Do a search (eBay, Amazon, or elsewhere) for Audio-Technica's ATH-A900Ti. I have it, and I think it's awesome.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Looking at the genres tag, x2 on the AT recommendation. An A900TI might be difficult to be organized, as it's out of production meanwhile.

Wouldn't choose an Ultrasone, most of those have excessive bass & treble amounts and only work-to-rule mids, such sound sig is better suited for hiphop- and tranceheads. The same is to be applied to the non TI-versions of the A900/A950, beware!

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 14
I'd throw the Shure SRH840 into consideration as well. I think it's an excellent all-around performer and sounds great even without powerful amplification.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 14
You will own an amp / DAC in the future, so I suggest disregarding how well the headphones will perform without additional amplification.

FWIR and based on the headphones that I've owned...

For rock and metal, I suggest crossing off Ultrasone, Shure, Audio-Technica, and AKG. The first brand that usually gets mentioned for rock is Grado. I'm not sure what the popular recommendation is for metal if it's not Grado. I would probably consider the GMP headphones already mentioned, a Beyerdyamic DT150, or a used Grado RS1 (open) if found within the given budget, but that's just me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #11 of 14
Also thought of Gradessandros, but he wants closed ones.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 14
The GermanMaestro GMP250 is IMO great with rock and metal.
So Are the Sony MDR-XB700 and M-Audio Studiophile Q40.

Nov 2, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 14
I have been reading Acix review and some other ones on the GMP 8.35 D Monitor and Shure SRH840. and I was wondering from a scale of 1 to 10.How well do they go with Rock,Metal,blues,and acoustic instruments

Users who are viewing this thread

Back