Looking for a good pair of over/on ear headphones
Apr 3, 2013 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Th3Guardian698

Head-Fier
Let me first say that I'm new to these forums but I have been reading a couple of reviews/questions and you guys seem to know what you are talking about. 

I've been looking at a couple of different headphones such as Beats by Dr. Dre, V-moda, Skull-candy, Sony, and haven't been able to come up with a for sure verdict.

I've only ever seen mainstream headsets such as Beats/Skull-candy ect. so I'm open to any suggestions.

Things that I want in my headphones are:

1. Awesome bass (I have a 1200watt amp with Two 600watt subs in the trunk of my car, when I say I want bass I hope you understand what I mean)

2. Easily portable and durable, I would be taking them to work and transporting them in the car(case would be a plus)

3. I like having the ability to change volume/change track on the cord 

4. Noise Isolation/cancellation 

I don't have a huge budget but I would like to keep the price tag around $200 or less, maxed at $250.

I demoed my sisters Solo beats and thought they are ok, but maybe over priced in my opinion.

Anyways thanks for the help in advance and I look forward to all the responses.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I think the Denon line would find your wants/needs. You will have to look more into their different models as I'm not extremely familiar. Try with the D2000 which I believe is within your budget. Another option might be Ultrasone. Best of luck.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 8
The old Denons that people really liked have been discontinued, and now they have a less impressive lineup. I think the V-Moda M100 or Ultrasone Pro 900 would be perfect for you, but they are a little over your budget. If you're patient you might find them on sale within your budget. Both companies have less expensive offerings that might also work for you. I would avoid Beats, Skullcandy, and the new Sony XB line; they are neither durable nor sound good for the money.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
The old Denons that people really liked have been discontinued, and now they have a less impressive lineup. I think the V-Moda M100 or Ultrasone Pro 900 would be perfect for you, but they are a little over your budget. If you're patient you might find them on sale within your budget. Both companies have less expensive offerings that might also work for you. I would avoid Beats, Skullcandy, and the new Sony XB line; they are neither durable nor sound good for the money.

To keep everyone updated now, I'm debating between the V-Moda LP2 and the V-Moda M-100 (thank you tsujigiri). I've read a lot of reviews for both now and i must say I'm leaning more toward the M-100's due to the better reviews. From what I've read the M-100's sacrifice a little bass but control it better and they don't muddy up the low mids/mids in general. 

P.S. sorry for my horrid descriptions, I'm totally new to the site and these will be the first "real" headphones that I will have owned. Currently rocking the Skull-candy Heavy Medal ear buds... not proud to say that...

May 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 8
After reading more reviews and other suggestions on here I still think the V-moda M100s are my best option, being a bass head but also enjoying the treble. Although I have come to realize (through reviews/posts) that there is a huge difference between quantity and quality of bass. With that being said I've read that the M100s are known to "muddy up" the mids a little bit. Now my other question is I've been contemplating over amping the headphones but is it even worth it? Some people say yes and others say no but the majority of them either don't own a pair of M100s or have never listened to anything from them. I've considered the Fiio e11 for 1 of 3 reasons,
1. The price is right, if it don't do anything its not a huge loss to my wallet.
2. I mostly use my ipod classic for the source of my media and the Fiio have cables for ipods.
3. The bass boost and the treble gain might be able to balance out the headset (makes sense to me, feel free to call me out on my ignorance)

May 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 8
Also purchased a Fiio E11 with the Fiio L9 cable for my ipod classic. Really improves the MDRZX300W. Loving the bass and treble boost. First I was listening to rap (Eminem mostly) and had the bass boost on level 2, after listening for a few songs I turned it down to level 1 and it hasn't moved. When listening to rock I leave the bass boost at 1 but turn up the gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back