Looking for a good pair of headphones to block out noise.
May 20, 2007 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mike112

New Head-Fier
I'm by no means an audiophile, but I'm looking for a good pair of headphones and I was told this is the best place to ask for advice.

I'm looking for something that will basically block out the noises of everyday life. I'm bothered by very subtle outside noises when listening to music, so this is an important factor for me. I've heard there are different technologies related to noise reduction in headphones, so I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking for. Most specifically, I'd like to block out the noises of people chatting, as I'm a college student who is constantly in the same room as other people.

Of course, I'd still like good sound quality. I don't think I need anything that is the absolute top of the line, but I'm willing to pay what I need to for something that gets the job done well and sounds great. Something $100-$200 would be nice, but if there are drastic improvements in noise reduction for a bit more than that, I'd gladly pay it.

May 20, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Check out the ATH-ANC7. There are many IEMs (in ear monitor) that would work as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=athanc7

There have been multiple threads recently started for this question by new people, interesting. Maybe people are coming into our community will learn more about their many options.

May 20, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the quick reply. After reading through the review, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
biggrin.gif
Any more recommendations or comments on the ones mentioned are still appreciated though.

May 20, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 12
for blocking out noise you have
1)classic closed cans. this means there is a natural seal between the phones and your skull.
2)active noise cancellation- there is a circuit that counters outside noise frequencies. This is not a highly regarded technology around here as the cancellation often degrades sound quality.
3)iems- in ear monitors. NOT to be confused with the earbuds that came with your mp3 player. these phones go in you ear canal. They block out tons of noise, are small and portable, and can provide great quality.

I would recommend 1 or 3 to you. If you plan on carrying these everywhere with say an ipod, get iems.

May 20, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike112 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the quick reply. After reading through the review, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
biggrin.gif
Any more recommendations or comments on the ones mentioned are still appreciated though.

Sennheiser has a couple of new units on the market but I have not heard them and they are more expensive than the ATH-ANC7.

You can search on the three words: active noise cancellation
In searching you can find many posts talking about this issue.

May 20, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 12
you can try the sennheiser hd280 pro. it is a closed phone so it isolates well. and it also has a good sound for its price, which is below $100. of course, my opinion only.

May 20, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 12
Oh, I forgot to mention, about the IEMs. I have heard good things and realize that they may be a great technology, but any I've tried have just never been comfortable at all to me. I'd much prefer headphones that don't enter the ear canal if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for blocking out noise you have
1)classic closed cans. this means there is a natural seal between the phones and your skull.
2)active noise cancellation- there is a circuit that counters outside noise frequencies. This is not a highly regarded technology around here as the cancellation often degrades sound quality.

I have a question about this. Would headphones with active noise cancellation suffer in sound quality even with active noise cancellation turned off? It looks to me like the ATH-ANC7 which were recommended have closed cans and the technology can be turned on or off, so I'm wondering if that may be the case. Being able to choose between noise reduction and sound quality just by flipping a switch would be nice if possible.

May 20, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronmtorres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can try the sennheiser hd280 pro. it is a closed phone so it isolates well. and it also has a good sound for its price, which is below $100. of course, my opinion only.

I'll look into it, thanks. Paying less than $100 for quality headphones would be easier on my bank account, I admit.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 12
Honestly, the only active noise cancellation phones ive tried were bose. they didnt sound very good to me with it on or off.

i've had the 280pros, and they offer decent sound, but i didnt find it enjoyable to listen to. it was a cold sound imo.

if you dont need portability go to the audiotechnica a900s.

May 20, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 12
The Equation RP21 are closed back cans that have an MSRP of $149 but can be found for less ($100). The Audio Technica ATH-ES7 gets very good reviews here and can be found for about $119 sometimes less.

You could try IEMs like the Etymotic ER6i or the V-Moda, both under $100.

May 20, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 12
I wouldn't recommend the HD280 Pro without trying it for a few hours first. They're highly uncomfortable because of the clamping.

That said, they do have better noise attenuation than any other headphones I've come across.

- lk

May 20, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordkelmain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend the HD280 Pro without trying it for a few hours first. They're highly uncomfortable because of the clamping.

That said, they do have better noise attenuation than any other headphones I've come across.

- lk

I was wondering about that a bit. After checking the CNet review as well as customer reviews, I've been seeing some mixed feelings on that. I've seen people say they have a large head and it is surprisingly more comfortable than most, for as much as hours upon hours at a time, and I've seen people who say they have a small head and the it regularly gives them headaches because of how tight it is.
blink.gif

I guess I'll try to get my hands on one before I make any decisions if I can. Until then, does anyone know of a way to lighten the pressure on this model if I do find it to be too tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back