Looking for a good MUSIC media player for PC!
Mar 25, 2014 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Quazimoto

New Head-Fier
So, a lot of people can't see where I'm coming from with this, but I don't think ANY of the media player options I've tried has been that great.
iTunes - looks like a toy, always trying be intelligent when it just needs to do what I say
WMP - what the heck happened there? They had it great back in the XP days and now... it just makes no sense now. There doesn't seem to be any intuitive way to move around it. Like many other players, it's become too video focused.
Helium Music Manager - best I've tried, but not the nicest interface and super slooooow to start up. Also had a weird way of selecting files to play etc. I am currently trying version 10 since 9 started freezing on start up.
KM Player - doesn't seem to have an option to display the playlist/album I'm currently listening too, just displays a single track, and even that isn't guaranteed. I just didn't like the L&F.

Is there something out there that isn't... well, crap?

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Foobar2000

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 11
Foobar2000 is the go-to option here (if you have the time to really get to know it and all of its add-ons)

I personally used use iTunes 10....because i don't have the time - sadly

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 11
Wow... 3-0 to Foobar.
NEVER heard of it. I have read at least 3 "top 5" and "top 10" lists on the matter and it's never been mentioned, but I'm taking the 3-0 scoreline here pretty seriously, so why has it not been mentioned in said lists!?

Thank you all, by the way.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Another vote for Foobar2000. It plays everything and it's amazingly customizable.  Here's how I have mine set up on my tablet, but look at other people's setups and it'll look completely different.

You can see more configs here: http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/667466/whats-your-foobar2000-setup/flat/1/

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 11
Foobar2000.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 11
Been using Foobar for the last 4 months and it's great. 
wink.gif

and KM Player mainly for video playback. 

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Foobar2000. While it is customizable, you don't have to do any of that, so don't be scared off. I have done virtually nothing except make the play/pause button on my keyboard go to Foobar for convenience.

Apr 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, I gave Foobar a go, and while it may be customisable in terms of look and shortcuts etc., it was pretty "basic" in music LIBRARY MANAGEMENT features compared to Helium Music Manager 10.
I probably need to give it some more time, but having said that, I did spend a while with it and was using the help section of the website etc. It didn't seem the sort of thing I was after (sadly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back