Looking for a good mic that's not a headset
May 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

FattyAcidz

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone :) I'm a new user here although I've used this site quite a bit without being a member, I hope I'm not making any mistakes with this post, I read all the rules and automated messages so hopefully not (I think mics fall into what this site allows?). As the title says I'm looking for a good mic that's not a headset, so basically what I mean is that I already have a pair of headphones I like (the Audio Technica ATH M50) but that leaves me without any way to communicate in video games and skype etc. As for my uses, they pretty much just include the aforementioned, I don't make music or anything. I was looking at the AntLion ModMic as a possible option, but they seem sort of unconventional so I'm not completely sold on it.

Anyway I don't care if it's an add-on sort of thing, a standalone mic, or even part of a webcam, I'm just looking for good quality at a decent price - ideally costing no more than $50. Hopefully someone can help me out here. :p

May 25, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 3
  Hello everyone :) I'm a new user here although I've used this site quite a bit without being a member, I hope I'm not making any mistakes with this post, I read all the rules and automated messages so hopefully not (I think mics fall into what this site allows?). As the title says I'm looking for a good mic that's not a headset, so basically what I mean is that I already have a pair of headphones I like (the Audio Technica ATH M50) but that leaves me without any way to communicate in video games and skype etc. As for my uses, they pretty much just include the aforementioned, I don't make music or anything. I was looking at the AntLion ModMic as a possible option, but they seem sort of unconventional so I'm not completely sold on it.

Anyway I don't care if it's an add-on sort of thing, a standalone mic, or even part of a webcam, I'm just looking for good quality at a decent price - ideally costing no more than $50. Hopefully someone can help me out here. :p

pretty much any mic you get as long as it has decent reviews is going to come out okay.. assuming you're not going for pristine sound quality for a recording studio or whatever

the one issue i kind of see with standalone mics is that it sits on a desktop which could be annoying or a distraction, and secondly, the noise reduction that it gets isn't going to be great

meaning you're going to be hearing fans, or people will hear other people talking

i used to game a lot, and that was probably what annoyed me the most whenever i got on a call with people, was all the random noise in the background... i don't really have any suggestions, but there are clip on mics, all though that wouldn't really give you too much noise cancellation

May 25, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 3

pretty much any mic you get as long as it has decent reviews is going to come out okay.. assuming you're not going for pristine sound quality for a recording studio or whatever

the one issue i kind of see with standalone mics is that it sits on a desktop which could be annoying or a distraction, and secondly, the noise reduction that it gets isn't going to be great

meaning you're going to be hearing fans, or people will hear other people talking

i used to game a lot, and that was probably what annoyed me the most whenever i got on a call with people, was all the random noise in the background... i don't really have any suggestions, but there are clip on mics, all though that wouldn't really give you too much noise cancellation

Ok, thanks for the response. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back