looking for a GOOD headphone out | Line-in/Mic-in solution
Jun 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yashi

New Head-Fier
Heres my problem:

I'm currently using a cheap sennheiser mic + K240 combo into my alc889A onboard soundcard.

The problem is my Mic-in. The sound-card creates a crazy amount of background noise. Not just white noise, there are also lots of spikes in there.

In short, i want to upgrade my audio interface. Due to the reason that i only use headphones, i looked into the xonar essence stx. But apparently it's crap. And does precisely the same my on-board card does: lots of noise on the mic/line in channel. Maybe they fixed that on the STXII. But i was unable to verify that yet.

Should i switch to something external? Basically buy a sound-card with 1xdigital-in + 1xdigital-out. And hook it up to an external headphoneamp/mic amplifier? I don't want to spend a fortune on this, but it should be a good and long lasting solution (which would favor the external solution) plus, the external volume knobs would be a nice feature too.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 5
The Xonar STX is not "crap." It's considered by many people to be one of the best sound cards on the market. However, if you have already tried it on your computer and still have the noise problem, then point your finger at your crappy computer that is generating all the noise. LOL

There are some pro audio solutions that would likely work, although I am not familiar enough with them to offer a recommendation.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 5
please, dont present your assumptions as facts.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628954/known-issue-asus-xonar-stx-mic-humming-buzzing-when-playing-games

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18211-Noise-humming-in-microphone-while-playing-games

yes, other components are the reason for the problem. But a 200$ soundcard should at least outperform onboard soundcards in every category.  Which this card does not do.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 5
please, dont present your assumptions as facts.

Please don't present your gross generalizations as facts.

yes, other components are the reason for the problem. But a 200$ soundcard should at least outperform onboard soundcards in every category. Which this card does not do.

A PC is a noisy electrical interference environment. The hardware configuration of some PCs is much worse in that regard than others and may not be hospitable to any internal soundcard that is used. If you have tested the STX in your computer and it has the same problem with noise as your motherboard audio, something about YOUR PC is very noisy.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 5
>Please don't present your gross generalizations as facts.

I'm not generalizing. The card obviously has an emi problem. If you don't hear it in your pc, its likely due to the fact that your pc radiates less emi. It still effects the soundcard just not on an audible level. 

anyways.

I do not have the card, and will not buy it. Thats why I'm looking for alternatives. Even external ones. Atm im checking the focusrite 2i2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back