Looking for a good gaming headphone under $60
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Monty1089

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just need some help choosing the best gaming headphone for the price $60 and under.

When i say gaming .. i play on the PS4 and usually play call of duty (black ops 3, WW2) and battlefield 1 and 4.

I would like good soundstage and hear footsteps clearly. I currently have Turtle beach recon 150 and want something a lot better to hear footsteps.

From my research i have narrowed it down to these 3:

1. Samson SR850 (change ear pads) = USD $24 + velour pads price
2. Superlux HD668B (change ear pads) = USD $36 + velour pads price
3. Philips SHP9500/SHP9500s = USD $55 (don't need to change ear pads)

I know people usually say Superlux and Samson are the same so it seems go for the better value in the Samson since it's cheaper? Or should i go for the Philips given it is more of an open headphones?

Thanks for any help and advice :)

May 1, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I own all three headphones.
The HD668B stopped working less then two months after buying them.
Gave my nephews the SHP9500, decent sound, but not really to my liking.
I liked the Samson SR850, good audio quality, for the low price.
Should be able to find decent (generic) replacement ear pads for the SR850 on eBay, for under $10.

Should be able to find a used Astro Mix-amp of eBay for $40-$50, best low cost option for use with a gaming console (PS4)

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Hi everyone,

I just need some help choosing the best gaming headphone for the price $60 and under.

When i say gaming .. i play on the PS4 and usually play call of duty (black ops 3, WW2) and battlefield 1 and 4.

I would like good soundstage and hear footsteps clearly. I currently have Turtle beach recon 150 and want something a lot better to hear footsteps.

From my research i have narrowed it down to these 3:

1. Samson SR850 (change ear pads) = USD $24 + velour pads price
2. Superlux HD668B (change ear pads) = USD $36 + velour pads price
3. Philips SHP9500/SHP9500s = USD $55 (don't need to change ear pads)

I know people usually say Superlux and Samson are the same so it seems go for the better value in the Samson since it's cheaper? Or should i go for the Philips given it is more of an open headphones?

Thanks for any help and advice :)
superlux hd681

May 1, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 8
I own all three headphones.
The HD668B stopped working less then two months after buying them.
Gave my nephews the SHP9500, decent sound, but not really to my liking.
I liked the Samson SR850, good audio quality, for the low price.
Should be able to find decent (generic) replacement ear pads for the SR850 on eBay, for under $10.

Should be able to find a used Astro Mix-amp of eBay for $40-$50, best low cost option for use with a gaming console (PS4)

As long as there is a compatible amp, on Xbox you could check the "HDMI or Optical Headset" box. Then send Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos For Headphones though that. I am not sure how good these two work though; I may be able to post my thoughts in a week or two.

To the TC I have to say that as long as you don't really care about audio quality you may want to try the PS4 Gold Headset. I know gaming headset aren't even regarded as mediocre to audiophiles. I just wanted to point out that through the USB connecter I always managed to point out where people were in Destiny. You could always return them.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 8
How about a Sennheiser HD558?, I know they run a little over $60 but if you look around (Ebay) you could find one for like $80. I think you'd be happier in the long run with these over what you have listed.

May 1, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 8

You're not going to get that for $60. At minimum, I have the HD330 on my PC with an Asus soundcard running virtual surround - passable enough for FPS but I got it more for immersion due to the strong bass (explosions and SFX) than pin point accuracy. That last bit something you can get from headphones under $200 but not with a lot of bass, like the Audio Technica AD700, but you'd still need some kind of soundcard to run virtual surround to minimize the hard pan left-center-hard pan right sound on headphones.

May 1, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 8
May 2, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks guys for the replies.

I already have a 2013 mixamp pro and an old modmic 4.0 that i never got around to using.

I have narrowed it down to either the Samson SR850 and the Sennheiser HD 558. There are a few on eBay already so i might try and pick one up and also change the ear pads while i'm at it.

Once i decide i will come back and update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back