Looking for a good (free) audio software capable of playing hi res files for windows....
Mar 26, 2015 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NewSound86

Head-Fier
So I got a new Sony SRS X9 wireless speaker wanted to test out some flac files I have on my laptop via the wired usb type b connection but currently I use winamp which only seems to output at 44KHz so i'm looking at for something that'll be able to play the files at their full quality...any help would be appreciated as it's my fist venture into hi res audio so i'm still a bit lost.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 9
  So I got a new Sony SRS X9 wireless speaker wanted to test out some flac files I have on my laptop via the wired usb type b connection but currently I use winamp which only seems to output at 44KHz so i'm looking at for something that'll be able to play the files at their full quality...any help would be appreciated as it's my fist venture into hi res audio so i'm still a bit lost.

Maybe foobar2000 suites for you - http://www.foobar2000.org/ (customizable GUI, lots of 3rd party components, etc.) ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 9
For those of you who subscribe to the hi-res file theory, you might want to take a look at this:

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

The cool thing about digital files is they are either lossless or lossey.  A lossless file has all the information to perfectly recreate the original wave!

There are not degrees of lossless, you can't get more lossless.  Sampling rate determines the highest frequency recorded and the bit rate is simply dynamic range.  People keep trying to apply analogue theory to digital to make it sound better but it just doesn't apply.  

I've often said I'd be happy with 32khz sampling since I can't hear above 15k anyway and it's still lossless 0hz-16khz.

And as the article states, high sampling rates can actually decrease sound quality by running extremely high frequencies through your system(30-96khz) that will strain your amp or speakers and produce distortion in the audible realm.

I am not the expert in this field by any stretch of the imagination but digital theory is pretty clear on this.  It's kind of like saying that if you serve your dinner on a bigger plate it's going to taste better.

Just my 10 cents worth...

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 9
  So I got a new Sony SRS X9 wireless speaker wanted to test out some flac files I have on my laptop via the wired usb type b connection but currently I use winamp which only seems to output at 44KHz so i'm looking at for something that'll be able to play the files at their full quality

the reason why it may be outputting at 44.1 khz is because all your music is sampled at 44.1 khz, the DAC on your sony speaker only supports 44.1 khz, or on your laptop, you setted the default format as 16/24 bit and 44.4 khz. 

and if you want to listen to your music at it's fullest quality, you have to have loseless files. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back