looking for a good desktop amp for some Denons
Jul 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
Hey ya'll
biggrin.gif

My next headphone purchase may very well be a pair of Denon D2000s, possible modded with woodie earcups and a better cable. Or I may jump the gun and buy the D5000s. Whatever. Either way, I'll need more than my D10 at home to power them, I'm sure.

My home rig is all Apple Lossless files. I listen to everything from NIN to Tori Amos, Morrissey, U2, k.d. lang, Madonna, some jazz, Pink Floyd, Placebo, The Doors, Radiohead, Bob Marley...the list goes on and on
smily_headphones1.gif

I really love a nice phat, rounded out, rich bottom end. I know the Denons will be great for that. What's a nice amp that I can pair with 'em? I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money ($700 + USD), and I don't think I need to. I'll be using my current D10 as a DAC. I've looked at HeadRoom's offerings in the Micro and Desktop line, as well as the K.I.C.A.S. Caliente.

Thank you, you fine audio folks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 7
I have much experience with Headroom Micro and Desktop amps, using wall-wart power supplies, and they all have worked great with Denon cans.
The bass you want and need is all there.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm hijacking my own thread here, but will I really need to upgrade my DAC? I'm happy with my D10, but how good is it? Would it be worth it if I'm upgrading anyway to new headphones, and a new amp?

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 7
I use a Channel Islands (CI) VHP2/VAC1 combo with my modded D-5000's. They sound great, and are well within your price range.

Bazile

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey guys, thanks for those suggestions. However, I think I'm going to change my song and dance a little. I'd like to keep amp + DAC separate, in case I get some power hungry 'phones down the road (I'm toying with the idea of getting a pair of HD650s later). I have a Mac, so I'd prefer my DAC connection to be optical, since it's supported. And my budget for each is a max of $500 Canadian ($400 USD, I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back