Looking for a good Closed Back
Jan 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Saeglopur

Head-Fier
I have the LCD XC as my Grail headphones but I need something for sitting at my desk, I have some AKG 240s but I have too much noise from my pc to be able to enjoy them. I'm used to the clamp on the LCD line so I like the isolation they give.
I've looked into some Audio Technica but a lot of reviews (for the 990 particularly) mention the light clamp and since I'm looking to isolate the pc noise i'm uncertain about that. 
My top considerations are the Senn HD598 CS, Audio Technica ATH 990x or W1000x, AKG K271 MII, Beyerdynamic 770 or T70p and finally the Meze 99.
Again I'm looking for comfort, The AKG are super comfortable but need more isolation so if anyone has any recommendations on any of these let me know
Thanks guys

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 11
I have the LCD XC as my Grail headphones but I need something for sitting at my desk, I have some AKG 240s but I have too much noise from my pc to be able to enjoy them. I'm used to the clamp on the LCD line so I like the isolation they give.
I've looked into some Audio Technica but a lot of reviews (for the 990 particularly) mention the light clamp and since I'm looking to isolate the pc noise i'm uncertain about that. 
My top considerations are the Senn HD598 CS, Audio Technica ATH 990x or W1000x, AKG K271 MII, Beyerdynamic 770 or T70p and finally the Meze 99.
Again I'm looking for comfort, The AKG are super comfortable but need more isolation so if anyone has any recommendations on any of these let me know
Thanks guys
Haven't heard any of your choices but have a loaner pair from Meze of the 99 Classics and they are quite nice. I don't have a problem with them but a lot of people complain of the small cups. I have heard Meze has a pair of larger pads but haven't seen them so can't say for sure . I find them pretty comfortable and they sound pretty good with good bass as well. They isolate well the headband is self adjusting so they give a good clamp but not squeezing too hard. Your ear touch the inside of the cup but it is not a that bad unless you have sensitive ears. I can wear them for hours without a problem. If you have big ears it might be a problem. They don't have the quality of bass as the XC's but for 1/4 the price you get what you pay for.

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Yeah these are just going to be a casual listening while gaming or typing up stuff on my computer, i like the look of the meze just concerned about the smaller size since im used to bigger phones

Jan 18, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Yeah these are just going to be a casual listening while gaming or typing up stuff on my computer, i like the look of the meze just concerned about the smaller size since im used to bigger phones
Totally understand I wish they had bigger pads also . I'm coming from Ether C's and AKG K872's so I understand the worry. They are still not that bad for me but bigger pads would be great.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Consider Beyerdynamic DT 150s. Best closed back headphone for me. 
It is like a closed back HD 650s. Sounds clearer and more 3D than the 650s while retaining their warm and lush signature.
or Meze classics 99. I have not tried them, but I read many good things about them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back