Looking for a good, budget mid to high range android smartphone (unlocked) with great sound (better than iPod touch and Sansa clip+)
May 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ReDDs3D

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new here, not an audiophile, but I desire and appreciate good sound and I as said before, I'm looking for a good android smartphone (perferrably mid to high range, spec wise) that has a nice sound quality.

I own an iPod touch 2g and a retired Sansa Clip+(only use it for excersise since I got an iPod to replace it for basic travel, or when I crave flac quality)
and I use my Vmoda vibes (gym, running, etc.), and Sennheiser HD203 (home) & mm30i (all purpose), and yeah my gear needs upgrading, I know :p

and I was thinking of getting an all in one smartphone to do the trick so I don't have to carry my phone and my ipod when I travel....

I would get an iPhone 4 but those things are just expensive and I just can't go out and spend 700+ dollars on an iPhone 4, and flac support is somewhat limited on those, so I am looking for an android, as those are usually good priced, and can play flac with apps and stuff (or so the internet tells me)

So what sort of Android should I try to buy with what I've said above. My budget is at most maybe $350 and I want to buy an unlocked phone (I'm living in asia at the moment), and I would like a Smaller sized phone (less than those big 4 inch phones, BUT that's not that big of an issue, I can settle with a giant phone if I am getting good audio quality)

So far, from what I could gather (and this is without going into the nitty gritty, just by brandname, specs, and what not) it seems that the

Sony Ericcson Live with Walkman WT19i 
Xperia Ray
All the Samsung Galaxy Phones (S, SII, Ace, Nexus, Nexus S)
All the HTC 'beats' phones

are all good music oriented phones, but I'm probably wrong (that's where I need your help)

Thanks!

May 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 4
I have a Xperia Ray and the sound quality is awesome with IEM and sensitive low impedance headphones. Really great, plus with an android app player you get really equalizer. I like the app called meridian player. (no relation to the hifi brand though)

May 3, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Got the WT19i here, its pretty good, sq is great, install instinctiv for flac and good EQ. I would go for it.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I have a Xperia Ray and the sound quality is awesome with IEM and sensitive low impedance headphones. Really great, plus with an android app player you get really equalizer. I like the app called meridian player. (no relation to the hifi brand though)

I'm using my Xperia Ray also for my portable gear :) although I really can't compare the quality of the Xperia Ray from other sources. From experience however, a lone Xperia Ray can't provide enough output for a Superlux hd662f or ATH-M50's even at max volume (I had to buy a Fiio E11 portable amp). I guess that is why you only mentioned IEM's. I'm actually wondering if the Sansa Clip Zip is a better source than the Ray. It's a good point though for Xperia Ray that you can install equalizer apps :) (I have a preset EQ setting for my Porta Pro's to make them more mid and high forward and less boomy at 60Hz below; the result is an overall better sound to my liking).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back