Looking for a good amp for AD700
May 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LordZ

New Head-Fier
I saw someone mention the Little Dot I+ and started reading a thread about matching tubes for it when suddenly I heard a whooshing sound as the topic quickly went over my head. I understood just enough that I thought I'd probably want a good average sounding pair of tubes and a pair that increased bass considerably.

I'm the kind of person that considers any "step up" in electronics that exceeds $100 more as too high to be worth it. I'm practically obsessed with games but I wont step up to the next video card, if the price difference is $100 or more, for example. Which is why I will probably never buy something in the $200+ price range for headphones. That said, I'm going to be the same way about the amp. Once the next step up requires a $100 price boost it has gone too far. Since I only paid $90 for the headphones, I'd prefer to keep the price of the amp at least within $50 of that.

The problem is not only which amp to buy but where would I buy it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

May 18, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 3
Spend your money on a better soundcard if you have a reasonably quiet source. AD700s are very efficient and will sound good out of any decent headphone jack. I plug my HD580s into an amp. I use my AD700s when listening around the house, straight into my iBook G4. They sound very good that way, and not just loud.

Phelonious Ponk

GrumpyOldArts.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back