Looking for a good all-round headphone
May 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

henshin

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new to the forums (so please go easy on me :p) and I'm looking for a good all-round headphone.
I intend to use it for music (lots of genres), movies, tv series, anime and games (fps, rpg, all sorts of genres really). They need to be over-ear and I'm only going to use it indoors so looks doesn't matter. I greatly prefer that only one cable would come out of the headphones (instead of two).
I used to use a Philips SHP2700 but unfortunately it got broken today :frowning2:. What I love about this headphone is that the amount of bass is just right and it's really good overal.
I also have a (more expensive) SHP8500 but although it's clearer, richer, deeper, or whatever you want to call it, on high tones I actually prefer the SHP2700 over the SHP8500 because the SHP8500, in my opinion lacks bass.

My budget is €200 BUT I don't want to spend any more money than I need to. Mainly because of my experience with the "cheap" and more expensive SHP2700 and SHP8500. More expensive isn't always better. But if there would be a big difference in performance then yes, I'm willing to pay for that.

May 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Akg k550 great sound, easy to drive, nice build quality and i like the way it presents sound and is my cup of tea might be yours i mean the bass is deep and extends well, airy smooth spacious sound is what i would call it and yea it is one of those cans that sound clear and open.

Look into the akg k550 Some people actually do love them, some quite impressed, some praise them for sounding great but people complain about the seal then some mod them well yea.

May 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 8
I actually read a few replies that the K550 would lack bass. On a scale from 1 to 10 where 5 is the most natural bass i'm looking for a headphone that would be around 6 on the scale.
This is a list I've made of headphones I'm interested in:

Philips SHP6000
Philips SHP8000
Philips Fidelio L1
Philips Fidelio X1/00

AKG K550

Sennheiser HD 558
Sennheiser HD 598

Beyerdynamic DT 880
Beyerdynamic DT 990
Beyerdynamic DT 770

May 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 8
I think the SoundMAGIC HP100s fulfill your criteria.  I think they're fantastic with pretty much everything, and they have bass that is IMO slightly above neutral, for a dose of fun.

May 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Forgot to add the sennheiser's in my previous post. Just fixed that. Does anyone have experience with the Sennheiser HD 598?

I had the HD558s for a couple weeks. If I recall correctly, they had less bass than the K550s but were otherwise a great sounding headphone. The only reason I returned them was realizing how light my bank account was getting!

May 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I had the HD558s for a couple weeks. If I recall correctly, they had less bass than the K550s but were otherwise a great sounding headphone. The only reason I returned them was realizing how light my bank account was getting!

The price difference isn't that big in my country.
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/293756/akg-k-550-(zwart).html
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/267290/sennheiser-hd-558-(zwart).html
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/267291/sennheiser-hd-598.html

I think the SoundMAGIC HP100s fulfill your criteria.  I think they're fantastic with pretty much everything, and they have bass that is IMO slightly above neutral, for a dose of fun.

Unfortunately that model isn't availlable in my country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back