looking for a game headset
Apr 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

avengernoonzz

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a game headset that has REALLY GOOD audio sound and a REALLY GOOD microphone, a crystal clear one.

I know headsets aren't recommended but I don't want to get a headphone + a separate microphone. I was thinking between the Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Headset or the Sennheiser PC350 Headphones with Mic. Budget (up to $350 AU) isn't a problem since I will never be buying a headset ever again.

Appreciated for any feedback! :D

Apr 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 41
Go for the Astro A40's + Mixamp (5.1 & 7.1) . Make sure you get the 2011 headphones version as the older models have bad earpads making your sound thinner and less bassy. If you youtube the astro's you'll find alot of great reviews, even the older ones before the 2011 model still came out very good. You could also pickup some used older model for cheap and then buy new earpads from the astro site and you got a 2011 model (note that there is no 2012 model and astro wont tell if there will ever be the last time i checked a few months ago)

Make sure your PC has an optical output though or you wont benefit from the mixamp full potential. The Mixamp is also compatible with PS3 and Xbox. Also a great feature is that the Astro's use the 5.8 ghz band unlike most other wireless headphones using the 2.4 causing inteference with other wireless equipment in and around the house

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 41

Thank you guys for replying but the beyerdynamic is quite expensive. :frowning2:

Quote:
Go for the Astro A40's + Mixamp (5.1 & 7.1) . Make sure you get the 2011 headphones version as the older models have bad earpads making your sound thinner and less bassy. If you youtube the astro's you'll find alot of great reviews, even the older ones before the 2011 model still came out very good. You could also pickup some used older model for cheap and then buy new earpads from the astro site and you got a 2011 model (note that there is no 2012 model and astro wont tell if there will ever be the last time i checked a few months ago)

Make sure your PC has an optical output though or you wont benefit from the mixamp full potential. The Mixamp is also compatible with PS3 and Xbox. Also a great feature is that the Astro's use the 5.8 ghz band unlike most other wireless headphones using the 2.4 causing inteference with other wireless equipment in and around the house

The Astro A40s do look nice but I can't find on the site which version is the 2011 version. Is this the one you were talking about?

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 41
You didn't say what your using them with, but Astros are overpriced.  PC360 is better.  MMX300 have a nice mic, but are expensive.  They're aren't that many good headsets. 

Better would be headphones + modmic.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 41
Oh sorry, I thought I did. I'm using it with a PC. I thought I put an edit in my post but I guess it never worked.

The modmic does look awesome but what headphones would you recommend with a $200-$350 AU budget? I did plan just go with a headset but I'll just keep looking first.

edit: I don't have a sound card by the way.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 41
Since you said "game headset" I assume you are using them for pc gaming. 

If that's the case, I would get a sound card with Dolby Headphone and pair it with headphones.  Common recommendations for gaming are DT880/DT990, K701/Q701, AD900, HD598/558.

Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-12-2012-akg-q701-added

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 41

Quote:

The Astro A40s do look nice but I can't find on the site which version is the 2011 version. Is this the one you were talking about?

http://www.astrogaming.com/wireless-systems-1/a40-wireless-systems/a40-wireless-system-480

This one :)

You can also use other headphones and just get astro's mixamp .. If you buy new from the shop you get a 2011 model as default now.
And yeah people say they're overpriced because of the official MLG (pro gamer tournaments) hype around it .. Personally I wouldnt say they're overpriced they are very good and yeah the price is high because many gamers want one but the headphone is well worth the price imo. They are really good headphones, very comfortable and very good build quality and the surround quality and sound is one of the best i heard so far, you can even customize your earpads if you like. The ear pads feel very good too, when i worn it for hours it wont give sweaty ears like most of the beyerdynamc ear pads do. Also you can take off the sides of the earpads so you have open headphones instead of closed (they attach by magnets very cool).

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 41
Sweet I think I'll go with a HD558/598 (maybe the 558 due to price and hopefully it will be awesome) + a sound card + modmic you linked me to. Haven't decided on the soundcard but I was looking at this one before. Any thoughts?

edit:

So it's either the HD558 + this sound card + modmic

or the..

HD595 + this sound card + modmic

What do you guys recommend?

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 41

Quote:
Sweet I think I'll go with a HD558/598 (maybe the 558 due to price and hopefully it will be awesome) + a sound card + modmic you linked me to.

Haven't decided on the soundcard but I was looking at this one before. Any thoughts?

That was a quick decision! 
eek.gif
  Don't you want to research it more?

I don't know much about soundcards.  I know Asus and HT Omega are recommended brands, but I don't know which models.  You may want to ask in here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/405

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 41

Quote:

That was a quick decision! 
eek.gif
  Don't you want to research it more?

I don't know much about soundcards.  I know Asus and HT Omega are recommended brands, but I don't know which models.  You may want to ask in here > http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound/405

Don't want to research anymore :p but the micmod looks promising (seen reviews on that and the microphone sound sounds very clear) and if the 598 is recommended on this site, there's no point in asking questions since most people here know what they are talking about haha.

..for the sound card - thanks for the link!

cheers everyone for their input :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 41

Quote:
Sweet I think I'll go with a HD558/598 (maybe the 558 due to price and hopefully it will be awesome) + a sound card + modmic you linked me to. Haven't decided on the soundcard but I was looking at this one before. Any thoughts?

edit:

So it's either the HD558 + this sound card + modmic

or the..

HD595 + this sound card + modmic

What do you guys recommend?

The 595 is not made anymore, but I like the 558 alot for gaming.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 41

Quote:
I'm looking for a game headset that has REALLY GOOD audio sound and a REALLY GOOD microphone, a crystal clear one.

Budget (up to $350 AU) isn't a problem since I will never be buying a headset ever again.

Chicolom said it would be in your best interests to research a little bit more, I'm inclined to agree.
HD595 is a very good headphone but there are many other exceptional ones as well :)

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 41

Quote:
 REALLY GOOD audio sound and a REALLY GOOD microphone, a crystal clear one.

But $350USD is over your budget?  I would just save up for the MMX300.  That or buy some AD700's in the mean time and do the DIY mic mod.  The buy the MMX300 later.  Amp and DAC are up to you, but you'll need at least an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back