Looking for a fun set of headphones
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

liquiflux

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone that is a lot of fun to listen to. I don't necessarily care about accuracy, but I do care a lot about clarity. Right now I have the Samson SR-850s, and I really like their clarity, but they can get fatiguing. I want something that is portable and will at least sound good unamplified, but then will really shine when plugged into an amp. I listen to a broad range of music, but mostly want these to do well for rock, with the occasional electronic or classical. I don't care about bass much and can spend up to around $200. I'm leaning towards one of the Grados but want to see what else is recommended.

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 10
Grados are great for rock, and are often considered fun because of their colored sound. But not a good choice for portable use in public. They are open headphones, and you can hear everything around you. And people around you will hear what you are listening to.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 10
M-Audio Q40's are sweet, cheap, portable cans that have great sound. They are very bassy but they also have a very present midrange. I don't find them fatiguing at all and they are easily driven.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 10
My biggest concern is that the portables I get won't sound clear or good enough. I have some HD428s while I like the sound they just don't have the clarity or overall sound response and just end up feeling limited even compared to the sr850. I've been looking at the portables from Audio Technica, Beredynamics, and Philips, but it's hard to tell based on reviews which are actually headphones that I would like.

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
My biggest concern is that the portables I get won't sound clear or good enough. I have some HD428s while I like the sound they just don't have the clarity or overall sound response and just end up feeling limited even compared to the sr850. I've been looking at the portables from Audio Technica, Beredynamics, and Philips, but it's hard to tell based on reviews which are actually headphones that I would like.

I had HD428's and gave them away. They are no where near as detailed or punchy as the Q40's.

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 10
The Q40s look like a great value for the money, but I've decided I want to go for something more portable, preferably something that can fold up like the Ultrasone Pro Series or Audio-Technica WS77/WS99. It seems like these are more bass-oriented headphones though, can anyone comment on their quality or suggest something similarly portable that doesn't compromise on sound quality?

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #7 of 10
What about the HD-25 I II? they scale well with proper amplification. They aren't bassy headphones. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 10
I'd recommend V-Moda M80's, assuming they in your price range where you live? (no idea) A very balanced, and overall clear sound. It has solid bass, definitely not bass light. Highs however are slightly rolled off, not harsh though, but they do lack a bit of sparkle up top. Can be driven off a ipod, portable amp can be used as well. Very durable, also with a very good warranty. Very portable, folds up and has a molded hard case. You can get pretty much whatever color you want as well, if style is a point of interest. Comfortable.

I preferred the M80 to the HD 25 I II and a few other options at this price point. I personally found the HD 25 I II to be very in your face and harsh (compared to what I'm used to) in the treble YMMV.

Jun 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I preferred the M80 to the HD 25 I II and a few other options at this price point. I personally found the HD 25 I II to be very in your face and harsh (compared to what I'm used to) in the treble YMMV.

I think you have a point, the M80 have the fun factor OP is looking for. 
HD-25's aren't that terrible though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back