Looking for a fun, energetic headphone for under $500.
Oct 8, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, and an excellent choice both as a complementary can to the AH-D2000 and for its simplistic synergistic requirements to sound very nearly its full potential with nearly any system,IMO!!!

I did love mine when I owned them
wink.gif

Problem with RS-2's though, is that I'd almost definitely have to get them used. And whenever I see them in the FS section, they're usually gone the same or next day.
eek.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #32 of 41
True that... And I was going to suggest used here in my original post...

However, the Alessandro's MS1 / MS2 dealie seems to make alot of sense ($$$) for the same experience of the "On Stage" presentation of the Grado sound signature... In any event, i highly suggest delving into the experience of their presentation somewhere along ones headphone listening journey, and especially early on as i said they aren't so very "system dependent' to sound nearly full to their potential with even a HeadFive or Arietta type of amps, IME
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck Scottyyyyyyyyyyy
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for some really fun and energetic headphones that go well with rock music. I only really listen to rock -- lots of different types however.
I like a bit of bass, which is why I love my Denon D2000's so much. I was thinking maybe HD650? They have nice bass I've heard, but are perhaps too laid back for rock unless accompanied with a proper setup (which my setup isn't heh)

Sony MDR-SA5000 sounds fantastic with rock music, just make sure you have a good source cause the SA5000 will sound exactly like whatever you feed it, moreso than any other can I have heard.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

True that... And I was going to suggest used here in my original post...

However, the Alessandro's MS1 / MS2 dealie seems to make alot of sense ($$$) for the same experience of the "On Stage" presentation of the Grado sound signature... In any event, i highly suggest delving into the experience of their presentation somewhere along ones headphone listening journey, and especially early on as i said they aren't so very "system dependent' to sound nearly full to their potential with even a HeadFive or Arietta type of amps, IME
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck Scottyyyyyyyyyyy
wink.gif

You wouldn't happen to know if a Mini^3 went well with 'em, would you?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony MDR-SA5000 sounds fantastic with rock music, just make sure you have a good source cause the SA5000 will sound exactly like whatever you feed it, moreso than any other can I have heard.

My source right now is embarrassing.

Onboard computer sound card.
plainface.gif
plainface.gif
redface.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #35 of 41
Sorry, I haven't heard a great many amps and could only make a deduction from my own experience(see profile); Whereas the RS-2s sounded very good even straight out of my Shuffle 1G, if only slightly light on the volume relative to not even wanting to listen to music with any of my other cans from that source/amp... As well as the HeadFive being pleanty of power & volume for their being fully enjoyable even with the Mapletree to choose from for amps...

Hope that helps Scottyyyyyyyyyyy
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Sorry, I haven't heard a great many amps and could only make a deduction from my own experience(see profile); Whereas the RS-2s sounded very good even straight out of my Shuffle 1G, if only slightly light on the volume relative to not even wanting to listen to music with any of my other cans from that source/amp... As well as the HeadFive being pleanty of power & volume for their being fully enjoyable even with the Mapletree to choose from for amps...

Hope that helps Scottyyyyyyyyyyy
wink.gif

Thanks

Doesn't look like they'll be difficult to drive anyway which is nice.

Can't wait now. Shouldn't have made this thread so far away from christmas. ¬_¬

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #37 of 41
Can we revive this thread and see what are the recommendations today, 10 years later?

I am looking for exactly that, an exciting headphone. I am hesitating between the grado sr325e and RS2e. The RS2e is a bit more expensive but seem to have inferior reviews especially when it comes to comfort and quality control. The sr325e is less expensive but has mostly stellar reviews and is an award winner on whathifi. I also have a schiit magni 1 amp, recommended to drive that particular grado while I don't know what would be best to drive the RS2e.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #38 of 41
Can we revive this thread and see what are the recommendations today, 10 years later?

I am looking for exactly that, an exciting headphone. I am hesitating between the grado sr325e and RS2e. The RS2e is a bit more expensive but seem to have inferior reviews especially when it comes to comfort and quality control. The sr325e is less expensive but has mostly stellar reviews and is an award winner on whathifi. I also have a schiit magni 1 amp, recommended to drive that particular grado while I don't know what would be best to drive the RS2e.

Any suggestions?

I had both the SR325i and RS2i (previous models) and it has been at least a couple of years, but here is what I remember:

1. Both are very easy to drive, but a more linear amp (1 ohm HP jack output?) will benefit both.
  2. If you want to use G-cush ear pads (around the ear), forget using them on the SR325i and put them on the RS2i, as the SR325i treble is piercing and the RS2i wood acoustics will travel around the ear smoothly.
  3. The SR325i is best with rock, alternative rock, grunge, metal, death metal, or any other genre in that treble-revealing range.
  4. The RS2i is best with jazz, classical, acoustical genres (live indie rock performances will sound better than the SR325i, per se), or any other genre in that mid-range-revealing area.
  5. The RS2i is a little lighter than the SR325i, but both are rather light when compared to many other headphones.
A good compromise between the two is the PS500, which has a wood lining holding the ear pads that is glued to a metal ear cup and metal grill construction. It is exciting for all of the above genres and makes a decent all-rounder for bass-revealing genres, like EDM, and its potential can be further unlocked with G-Cush ear pads. Ask @bearFNF about the PS500, especially with G-Cush ear pads.

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #39 of 41
I had both the SR325i and RS2i (previous models) and it has been at least a couple of years, but here is what I remember:

1. Both are very easy to drive, but a more linear amp (1 ohm HP jack output?) will benefit both.
  2. If you want to use G-cush ear pads (around the ear), forget using them on the SR325i and put them on the RS2i, as the SR325i treble is piercing and the RS2i wood acoustics will travel around the ear smoothly.
  3. The SR325i is best with rock, alternative rock, grunge, metal, death metal, or any other genre in that treble-revealing range.
  4. The RS2i is best with jazz, classical, acoustical genres (live indie rock performances will sound better than the SR325i, per se), or any other genre in that mid-range-revealing area.
  5. The RS2i is a little lighter than the SR325i, but both are rather light when compared to many other headphones.
A good compromise between the two is the PS500, which has a wood lining holding the ear pads that is glued to a metal ear cup and metal grill construction. It is exciting for all of the above genres and makes a decent all-rounder for bass-revealing genres, like EDM, and its potential can be further unlocked with G-Cush ear pads. Ask @bearFNF about the PS500, especially with G-Cush ear pads.

Thank you for these infos. The PS500 according to the headroom graph looks like very dark headphone with recessed treble, seems to emphasize its power in the bass and midrange. I will try the sr325e because I want to listen to some rock, guitar crunch and expressive dynamics ! :) If I ever want to upgrade from the sr325e what do you suggest?

Jun 27, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #40 of 41
Thank you for these infos. The PS500 according to the headroom graph looks like very dark headphone with recessed treble, seems to emphasize its power in the bass and midrange. I will try the sr325e because I want to listen to some rock, guitar crunch and expressive dynamics ! :) If I ever want to upgrade from the sr325e what do you suggest?

When you get the money, a PS1000e or a PS2000 and Schiit Jotunheim (PS2000 is balanced, but still relatively easy to drive). I have tried the PS1000i out and feel it's sound signature is leaning more towards the SR325i than PS500, all with a better soundstage and instrument seperation, with added comfort to boot. I heard the GS2000 on loan, so I think the PS2000 sensitivity would be quite similar, especially in balanced mode.

Jul 5, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 41
Depending on your idea of 'fun and energetic,' but as a new owner of the set, and a very satisfied one at that, I can vouch for the MDR-V6 if you can get a good deal on a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back