Looking for a full-sized headphone for a basshead
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

IMPERIUS

Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm new here so sorry if I mess anything up

Anyways, I consider myself a bit of a "basshead"- I just love bass. I don't quite get the difference between "punchy", "boomy" and "tight" bass, can somebody please help me on that?

Second, I'm currently using the razer electra. Its bass is quite good (for me) and I take its bass as a minimum on what the new pair should reach.

What I'm looking for:

- I don't mind if the headphone is open or closed back
- it must be a full sized headphone with over/ around ear design
- GREAT BASS! and since I'm not an audiophile and will not be using the headset for music production or video editing I don't care for the highs and mids as much as I do for the lows, however they must not be too "muddy" (not sure if I used the correct word here), I want them to still be clear. But because I use the electra I guess any upgrade would do a much better job
- comfort. I quite like the electra, especially its cup, I really love the material they used there and I also love the size, my ears just fit perfectly to them. I don't like the headband tho
- headphone will be used for gaming and music (edm). I'm not a pro gamer so how the headphone handles gaming is not a big deal to me
- I will use it with my phone and on-board audio. So I guess the max ohm is about 80? I don't really know. Anyways, a headphone that can be driven with mobile devices
- soundstage is important to me. From what I understand a bigger/wider soundstage feels like if you were listening to speakers, right? I don't want it to be really small (I think the m50x is know for its small soundstage) but its not the most important thing to me
- budget is around 180 (max)
- headphones I consider: beyer COP, dt990, dt770, akg k612 pro and maybe the m50x but I have the feeling its not the type of headphone I'm looking for. 

The headphone I'm eyeballing the most is the akg k612 pro mainly because of its design and that its an open-back. Some people say it feelis very analytical (so not a lot of bass?) and others say that it has tight bass or something similar so I don't really know what to think about it, please list your thoughts on it

If I forgot anything just ask and I will add it to my description

Thanks!

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 10
There's great bass SQ vs. great amounts of bass. I like very good bass quality with only a little emphasis over other frequencies. Some people like lots of extra emphasis. What kind of headphones have you heard before for "great bass." It would help us to have some idea of what you like. :)

K512 Pros are not a good choice for being driven without an amp. They are also more neutral when it comes to bass. Make sure that's what you want.

Mar 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 10
There's great bass SQ vs. great amounts of bass. I like very good bass quality with only a little emphasis over other frequencies. Some people like lots of extra emphasis. What kind of headphones have you heard before for "great bass." It would help us to have some idea of what you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

K512 Pros are not a good choice for being driven without an amp. They are also more neutral when it comes to bass. Make sure that's what you want.

First, what is bass SQ?  Well I don't really know for what I should be looking for. I mean I like bass so that the headphones vibrate and everything but I would like it to be clear, that it would be accurate, punchy but not to the point where is messes up all other frequencies. So I guess I would like quality bass with a medium emphasis on it? problem is that I really don't know. I've only had the electras and that is my only experience with headphones so I'm lost. 
I remember that the COP had reviews saying it is a bassy headphone and also for the k612 pro is said to have "puchy" bass. 
And you mean the K612 pro, right? What does it mean that they are neutral? That it does not cover up other frequencies? 

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 10
Bass is one of the easier attributes to see on a graph. The only unknown is what bass frequencies the music you listen to really has all its energy. Many songs that everyone assumes have thundering lows, really have very emphasized mid-bass with very little energy below ~80 Hz. Bose speakers used to be the Masters at creating tons of peaky bass between 60-120 Hz, and fooling everyone that the little Acoustimass unit was some sort of magic box. It was only when directly compared with a good subwoofer capable of accurately reproducing true sub-bass that you suddenly realize how artificial the Bose bass really is. Now, of course, everyone does similar things, and that includes the producers & sound engineers creating the recordings.

Here's a few headphones, the Beyer COP with the switch in the "bass" position, the DT770-250, the AKG K712 (Headroom did not have a graph of the K612), and a VERY bassy headphone, the Sony XB700:

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Bass is one of the easier attributes to see on a graph. The only unknown is what bass frequencies the music you listen to really has all its energy. Many songs that everyone assumes have thundering lows, really have very emphasized mid-bass with very little energy below ~80 Hz. Bose speakers used to be the Masters at creating tons of peaky bass between 60-120 Hz, and fooling everyone that the little Acoustimass unit was some sort of magic box. It was only when directly compared with a good subwoofer capable of accurately reproducing true sub-bass that you suddenly realize how artificial the Bose bass really is. Now, of course, everyone does similar things, and that includes the producers & sound engineers creating the recordings.

Here's a few headphones, the Beyer COP with the switch in the "bass" position, the DT770-250, the AKG K712 (Headroom did not have a graph of the K612), and a VERY bassy headphone, the Sony XB700:

So what should I be looking for here? The higher the graph on the left side=more bass? Also, I noticed that the COP goes very low on highs, does that mean it is "bad" or at least worse than others in the woman vocals area? And your sony suggestion peeked my interest. I could get it from ebay for a similar price than the others, should I go for it? But first, how is it in the other areas; build quality, comfort, mids and highs?
But how can people say that the k612 pro is not a good headphone for a basshead when it has about the same graph in the lows as the COP (which is considered a basshead headphone?)

Mar 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 10
The graph I posted is for the K712, not the K612. I would not assume the K612 looks like the K712. I only included it as an example of an open headphone that is considered to have good bass.

This might help: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

Mar 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 10
The graph I posted is for the K712, not the K612. I would not assume the K612 looks like the K712. I only included it as an example of an open headphone that is considered to have good bass.

This might help: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one

What about the k601? Isnßt the 612 like an update to the 601?

Mar 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 10
SQ=sound quality :)

My recommendation is go to listen to some headphones. Do you have an Apple store nearby? They often have a few setup with iPods to listen to. If you can say, "I liked this headphone" or "I didn't like this headphone" and why, with a few models, it would help us to better know what kind of bass signature you are looking for :)

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 10
SQ=sound quality :)

My recommendation is go to listen to some headphones. Do you have an Apple store nearby? They often have a few setup with iPods to listen to. If you can say, "I liked this headphone" or "I didn't like this headphone" and why, with a few models, it would help us to better know what kind of bass signature you are looking for :)

Nope, there is not even a single (official) aplle store. However, there are tech shops that have some headphones displayed mustly from beats so maybe I could liaten to that but I am 99% sure that they don't even sell anything from SH,AT,BD or AKG.
What about the electra? How would you describe its bass? I like it but wish it had more of it (that means bigger emphasis on it?). Or I could also go yolo and get the k612 and then return it if I'm not satisfied with it but that is a kind of a waste of money

Mar 17, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 10
/bump, I need some suggestions on this guys

from my research the k612 pro is not for a basshead and the m50x has terrible soundstage so those 2 headphones are out of the list. Now I'm more interested in the dt990 pro, any thoughts?
Btw, I have the htc one m7, could I drive a 250ohm headphone? Some people say you can't but others say its doable and since my phone is maybe a bit more music oriented maybe it can drive such headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back