Looking for a first sub-$100 amp
Dec 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rushofmusic

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm on the market to look for a decent sub-$100 amp/DAC. I don't really like the sound coming out of my laptop so an amp/DAC combo would be good.

I currently own the Triple.Fi10 , HD428, and Superlux HD681. I know a bunch of people are probably going to tell me I don't need to amp any of these, but I've heard that the TF10s do benefit from an amp and the review on headphones by ljokerl said that the HD428s actually do surprisingly benefit from being amped (they do sound relatively flat and weak). I'm also sure that I will be getting higher end full size cans in the future.

I'm not a basshead but I would like to feel a little more bass out of the headphones that I have, so amps that give a little more on the low end would be really great.  I really like the TF10s that I got about a week ago, but I find them to be a tad bit on the cold/analytical side, so an amp that provides a slightly warmer sound would be really good too. I've been looking into the Fiio E7 and I was wondering if that would be a good choice.

Sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about (I basically don't). Thanks in advance for the help :D

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for all the replies. Does any have a comparison for how the E7 sounds vs the E10?

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 15
iBasso D-Zero is $105, it can be a DAC and Amp combination, or just a DAC or AMP depending on your needs. Based on what I've heard about it, it's a great little device, been looking at getting it myself. I know it's a bit over your price range, but if you want something really good at that price, this should at least be looked at.

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
Can I know why? Thanks.

Note: Creative Fanboy.           Note: I own and use FiiO stuff too

For the price I rather get a better DAC implementation that does what a DAC is supposed to do, line out via RCA (3.5mm jacks just don't cut it) or optical. Call me biased but for the price there are much better options like X-fi HD, Emu-labs(albeit kinda outdated but hey). The E10 is more for portability which I would rather wait out and get the E17 instead. The only way I'm getting a DAC at that price is if it is paired with a separate amp module or else, I'm saying no to potentially fake 24/96 playback(given the specs provided by FiiO). 

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Anyone have opinions on iBasso D-zero vs the E7?

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 15
My HD 428's significantly improve with an amp; my amp is a Cmoy that I built by myself. If you like soldering, I'd recommend you get a Cmoy kit off online or you can even go a more hardcore route and make one off a parts list and a pref board. I really like my Cmoy BTW

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #12 of 15
Dec 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 15
I recommend the E10 absolutely fantastic for the price , better than E7 from http://www.headfonia.com/the-latest-must-have-the-fiio-e10-usb-dacamp/

Comparing to the Fiio E7, and again I easily prefer the E10 by a large margin. Fuller mids, fuller bass, better vocals with the E10. The E7 on other hand sounded thin in the mids and lows and though the midrange seemed clearer, at the same time I also hear the midrange to be more constricted on the E7. Well, midrange is where the soul of the music lies, and so it’s a very easy choice between the E7 and the E10. You know what the best news is? The E10 actually will retail for $80, cheaper than the E7 and significantly cheaper than the Audinst.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 15
I would love to choose that but it seems that the E10 is not portable. I plan on using my unit on the go especially as a student that spends a lot of time in the library I don't wanna really lug the E10 around, although I might just decide to leave it home and give up the pleasure of having an amp when I'm at the library. Thanks for the recommendation though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back