Looking for a first set of headphones up to $200
Sep 15, 2007 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hoeboe2k

100+ Head-Fier
Well what I mean is pretty good headphones. Right now I have a pair of Sony XD-100 which I bought for 10 bucks. I am looking for headphones for all the way up to $200. These have to be portable because I am going to be using them on my laptop. Also i won't be buying a separate amp for them so I guess they will have to have a low impedance. I want to try some open headphones but am open to closed ones. I am looking for a wide soundscape and good imaging too.

I've been looking at:
Audio Technica ATH AD-900
Any Beyerdynamic with low impedance.

Any good ones I have missed? What is the differences in sound between the audio technica and beyerdynamics and any other ones you guys list?

Thank you guys! I want to join you guys soon.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 12
I found the DT770s to be too tightly clamping for my own comfort, but that could be a good thing as far as portability when compared to the ATH-AD series. They have extremely soft clamping forces, and I could easily see them slipping around on your head if you were moving around with them a lot. They are far more comfortable though. As far as size, both are very large and do not compact in any way. Somebody else would be better for explaining the sound differences than me.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks. Well, I won't be using it on the go, and I have a big backpack which I put things in so I wouldn't mind that much that it is a large headphone. While I would like comfort I am more after the best SQ for the price and without an amp (cause I wouldn't really want to carry two things around).

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 12
I always find it hard to respond when people stress the portable aspect for mid-cost cans. I think the opinions on what makes a headphone portable are more diverse than the opinions about actual sound quality. You mentioned that small and light is not a big deal for you . . . this helps.

Some people care how they look in public, ruggedness, isolation, size, foldability (new word), resistance to sweat, etc. Perhaps if you further define the criteria you have for portability, it may make it easier for people to respond . . . or maybe it's just me.

Sep 15, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 12
I would think whatever I buy would have to be somewhat rugged yet comfortable cause it is going to be in my backpack but other than that, they don't need to fold, look cool, or have resistance to sweat. I'm not going to be throwing these headphones against the wall either so it doesn't need to be a tank. I was looking at the Beyerdynamic dt880's but sadly they are out of my price range.

And actually I do have a pair of er-6i's but I desire something with a better sound and better soundscape. I like the clarity but do desire a little more bass which is why I'm looking at full sized headphones. Probably something a little more durable to because I've had to repair the plug twice in three years.

Oh bebanovich, I also have a macbook pro which is what I'm going to be playing the headphones off of. Do you recommend anything?

Oh and for music I listen to all kinds, mostly rock but I occasionally dwell in jazz and classical and very rarely hip hop and r & b.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 12
The DT880s are great, you would love them with your musical preferences and they can be snagged pretty regularly in the FS forum for under $200. However, you will want/need an amp to power them, which would then put you out of your price range. I'm not sure that even the low impedance Beyers would be terrific unamped as impedance is only one factor. The only phones I would directly recommend from experience are the RP21s which are durable, would give you the desired bass and clarity but lack the soundstage of open phones.

You also should look at Grado SR225 to see if it sounds like your cup o' tea. Grados and Alesandros do great unamped. I also think you are on the right track w/ the AD900s but I'm really straying from my expertise here.

In terms of the MacBook Pro . . . the stock soundcard is OK. The real advantage of the MBP, however, is that the headphone out doubles as an optical out with a $2 adapter. This will only become important when you start looking for a Digital/Analog Converter (DAC - sorry if I'm rehashing stuff you already know) - and you will look for a DAC because this is HeadFi afterall.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can use a DAC that accepts optical connections like the new iBasso D1 or the Creative EMU 0404. Until you get to that point, however, I don't think the MBP is a source to necessarily build a special headphone collection around.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 12
My thought is the Sennheiser HD 595-- some of the best headphones you can buy in the price range without the need of an amp. Other than that, the aforementioned Grados or Alessandros are good as well. Personal preference goes to the Senn's because of their comfort level and warmer sound, but you can't lose either way.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 12
HD 595 fits the bill here. Fine cans.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 12
Sennheiser HD600 are one of the more popular phones in that price range, and from what I've heard with my ears, my favorite. You should be able to find them somewhere on the net for under $200 shipped. They take a little getting used to since they place the music a little further back in your head, kind of like listening to speakers or several rows back at a show.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by balanceofpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser HD600 are one of the more popular phones in that price range, and from what I've heard with my ears, my favorite. You should be able to find them somewhere on the net for under $200 shipped. They take a little getting used to since they place the music a little further back in your head, kind of like listening to speakers or several rows back at a show.

I wouldn't recommend the 600's unless you're going to get an amp though, that Sennheiser veil is even more evident if they're not properly amplified.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #12 of 12
I listened to HD-212 Pro's and I didn't like them because they were extremely boomy and just didn't sound very impressive. I know the higher end Sennheisers are uncomparable though. The HD 595 sound nice. I hear they have a laid back sound. I wish I could hear them but I don't know anywhere I can in Chicago.

So I am looking at the Sennheiser HD-595, Audio Technica AD900, and the Beyerdynamic DT860. The DT860s seem to be more analytical than the 595 with more bass? At least this is what I read in a review. What would the sound differences be/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back